Creating and editing QuickViews in the Remedyforce Console
A QuickView is a query to retrieve key data that helps you manage your work more effectively. You can view a set of predefined QuickViews that are provided out of the box or you can create specific QuickViews that are designed to meet your business needs. You can view the records of your QuickView in a Table or Chart view.
You can create new QuickViews and edit them. However, you cannot edit an out-of-the-box QuickView. For an out-of-the-box QuickView, you can only configure sharing of the QuickView with users of a profile. For more information, see Sharing an out-of-the-box QuickView.
By default, only active and opened records are shown in a QuickView. If you want to show inactive or closed records in a QuickView, add a condition with the State or Inactive field. For example, to also, view closed incidents in a QuickView, add the State = False condition to the QuickView.
To create or edit a QuickView, you must perform the following procedures in the QuickView wizard:
On the Remedyforce Console tab, you can increase the space that is available for creating or editing QuickViews. To hide all tabs (for example, Home and Remedyforce CMDB), click theicon and use the additional space for working with the QuickView wizard. If you use the icon to hide the tabs and you log off from the BMC Remedyforce application, the additional space is available the next time you log on and access the Remedyforce Console tab.
Procedure 1: Define the QuickView name and share it with selected profiles
Click the Remedyforce Console tab.
From the View menu, select My QuickViews.
The My QuickViews option is available in the View menu only if at least one of the following conditions is met:
- Your system administrator has given you permission to manage your own QuickViews.
- Your system administrator has not given you permission to manage QuickViews, but you have previously created QuickViews from the Remedyforce Console or Remedyforce Dashboard tab. In this case, the create, edit, copy, and delete icons are not displayed for the My QuickViews option.
- Perform one of the following actions:
- To edit an existing QuickView, select that QuickView and click .
- To create a QuickView, click Create New QuickView.
(Optional) On the Introduction page of the QuickView wizard, click Next.
You can hide the Introduction page when you open the QuickView wizard by clicking the Skip the Introduction in the future check box.
On the General page of the QuickView wizard, type a unique name and description for the QuickView.
To easily identify the QuickViews that you create, you can prefix the QuickView names with a unique identifier such as your initials. For example, say that Emma is a staff member who has permission to manage QuickViews. He can name the QuickViews he creates AD-My Work and AD-Incidents assigned to my queue.
(Optional) From the Share With list, select profiles that can use the QuickView.
To make the QuickView available to all profiles, select the Everyone check box. By default, the QuickView is shared only with the system administrator.
- Click Next.
Procedure 2: Select a data source and fields, and define query conditions to filter records
BMC recommends that you select a single data source for each QuickView. However, if you must select multiple data sources, do not select more than two. QuickViews that display records from multiple data sources have the following limitations:
- The pagination options are not available in the QuickView. You can view only the first 200 records that match the sort order configured for the QuickView.
- The Chart view displays records only for a single data source. The data source is selected based on the data field that you use as the grouping field for the Chart view.
- The performance of the dashboard and QuickViews in the Remedyforce Console might be adversely impacted.
- The sorting of data in the QuickView might not work correctly.
- Do not revoke the permissions for the following fields of the corresponding objects given below.
Incident, Change Request, Task, Problem, Release, Broadcast
Base Element (FKBMC_BaseElement__c)
Incident Service Target
Change Service Target
Change Request (FKChangeRequest__c)
Change Request~ (Change_Request__c)
Users should not revoke permissions for the fields which are used in Query condition and Color Coding condition.
- On the Query page of the QuickView wizard, from the Data Source list, select the data source of the QuickView.
- To create a QuickView for a single data source, perform the following steps:
From the Available Fields list, select the fields that must be displayed in the QuickView.
Do not select the following fields for any QuickViews that you are creating. These fields are used only in the Service Cloud Console.
- Change Request #+
- Incident #+
- Problem #+
- Release #+
- Task #+
If you select any of these fields, the data is incorrectly displayed in the QuickViews.
To move the selected fields from the Available Fields list to the Selected Fields list, click the right arrow.
- To create a QuickView for multiple data sources, perform the following steps:
- Click the Get data from multiple sources link.
- From the Available Data Sources list, select the data sources of the QuickView.
- To move the selected data sources from the Available Data Sources list to the Selected Data Sources list, click the right arrow.
- In the Data Field columns, select the fields that must appear in the QuickView for each data source. Consider the following points about setting up Data Field columns:
- By default, two Data Field columns are displayed.
- If you require only one Data Field column, delete the second Data Field column. To delete a Data Field column, click a field in that Data Field column and click .
- To add multiple Data Field columns, click . To add another Data Field column, you must populate all existing Data Field columns with fields.
- In each Data Field column, you must add fields of the same data types.
For more information about the data type of fields, navigate to Remedyforce Administration > Manage Objects > Create and Edit Objects. Then, from the Object list, select a <custom object name>, click Custom Fields & Relationships, and view the data type of the field in the Custom Fields & Relationships section.
- To proceed to the next tab, you must select at least one field for each data source. Also, you must populate each Data Field column with fields in at at least one of the rows.
(Optional) In the Query Conditions section, perform the following actions to define the conditions based on which records are filtered in the QuickView:
To add a new condition, click .
While creating a QuickView, you must not add more than 65 query conditions for the Reference field type.
- (Optional) To prompt the user to enter a runtime value for the field, select the Prompt at Run Time check box.
This runtime value filters the data that is displayed in the QuickView.
- If you have selected the Prompt at Run Time check box, in the Runtime Label field, type a label for the runtime value.
This label should inform users about providing an appropriate value that filters data in the QuickView. If you do not provide a label, <Field name> is displayed in the Filter section of the QuickView.
If you are creating a QuickView for service requests, add the following condition: Is Service Request = True.
- From the Field Name list, select the field that filters the data that is displayed in the QuickView.
You can create conditions for fields of the supported data types only: Formula, Roll-Up Summary, Lookup Relationship, Check Box, Currency, Date, Date/Time, Email, Number, Percent, Phone, Picklist, Text, Text Area, and URL. For more information about data types, see the Salesforce Help.
From the Operator list, select a comparison operator.
In the Value column, type the value of the data field.
Consider the following points when defining the value of the data field:
Based on the data field added to the condition, the Value column dynamically displays the appropriate option to enter a value.
For example, if you select the Description field, the Value column displays a text box that allows you to enter a description. If you select the Priority field as the data field, the Value column displays a list that allows you to select a priority for the field. You can type the required priority value if you do not want to make a selection, and the priority value that you have typed is validated before it is added to the condition.
If you want to see records where a field value is blank, leave the Value column blank.
For example, to see all records where priority is not assigned, select Priority in the Field Name column and leave the Value column blank.
BMC Remedyforce provides the following values for the Owner ID field. You can select the value that retrieves the records that you want to display in the QuickView.
Value for the Owner ID field
The QuickView retrieves all records that belong to the logged-on user.
The QuickView retrieves all records that belong to all the queues of the logged-on user.
The QuickView opens the Select from Staff lookup window, and you can select the staff member whose records you want to display in the QuickView.
The QuickView opens the Select from Queues lookup window, and you can select the Queue whose records you want to display in the QuickView.
- To add another condition, select a logical operator from the Logical Operator list.
This logical operator joins multiple conditions. You can add more OR operators if either the first or last operator is AND, and an AND does not come between two OR operators.
In a QuickView for multiple data sources, add multiple conditions consecutively for the same data source. Also, use the AND or OR operator to join these multiple conditions. Use the NONE operator only between the conditions defined for different data sources.
- Repeat step b through step g until you have added all the conditions required for the QuickView.
- Click Next.
Procedure 3: (Optional) Define the Table view of the QuickView
On the Table View page of the QuickView wizard, configure the columns displayed in the QuickView based on your requirements.
You can double-click a column header, configure how that column is displayed in the Table view, and click Apply.
You cannot sort records based on columns that contain values of the Text Area, Text (Encrypted), or Picklist (Multi-Select) data types.
- In the Color Coding section, perform the following steps:
- Click Add Row.
From the Select Field list, select the appropriate data field.
The values of this data field are highlighted in the QuickView records.
To display records in different colors based on the percentage of time remaining for a record, use the Time Remaining Percentage field in the Field Name field and select different colors for different values in the field. You can define colors in the Color Coding table. While defining colors, ensure that you add rows that have ascending values in the Value field and use the = and <= operators only.
- From the Operator list, select a comparison operator
- In the Value field, type the value of the data field.
Based on the data field you have added, the Value field dynamically displays the appropriate option to enter a value.
- In the Set Color column, from the color palette, select the appropriate color.
The selected color highlights the matching rows of records in the QuickView.
- Click Next.
Procedure 4: Define the Chart view of the QuickView
- On the Chart View page of the QuickView wizard, from the Chart Type list, select the type of chart to display.
- To display the chart in three dimensional view, enable the 3D View button.
From the Data Field list, select a field.
The data fields that you selected on the Query page in procedure 2, are available in the Data Field list. If you are creating a QuickView from multiple data sources, the data fields are preceded with the name of their object in the Data Field list. For example, if you have added the Opened Date data field of the
Incidentobject, this data field appears in the Data Field list as Incident.Opened Date.
This data field is used as the grouping field on the chart (the x-axis).
If you configure the Chart view of QuickView to use the Owner ID field as the grouping field, the Chart uses the Owner.Username field in the QuickViews results, because the Owner.Username field is unique for each owner. The Chart view does not display the Owner.Name field, because multiple users can share the same name.
The Chart view does not support data fields of the following types:
- Auto Number
- Formula fields with return type of Number, Currency, or Percent
- Formula fields that use operators or functions
- Roll-Up Summary
- Text Area (Long)
(Optional) Expand Chart Options and select the required settings.
The values you specify for the upper and lower limit lines are displayed on the y-axis in the chart results.
To save the QuickView, click Save.
If you create a QuickView for Incident, Problem, Task, or Change Request and then open the view and click on records, the tab header displays “undefined” for a few seconds and then displays the record ID.