Viewing the impact of change requests on CIs
You can view the configuration items (CIs) that can be impacted when a change request is implemented on CIs. For example, you can identify which devices and applications in the network are affected if you take a specific server offline due to scheduled maintenance or lease returns.
While configuring relationships among CIs, you must select Yes in the HasImpact field for the CIs that are affected due to a change on a source CI. For example, while configuring a relationship between a server and a server application, select Yes in the HasImpact field.
Assume that C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, and C7 are CIs and C1 is source for C2 and C3 (the HasImpact field value is Yes ); C2 is source for C4 and C5 (the HasImpact field value is Yes); and C3 is source for C6 and C7 (the HasImpact field value is No). If a change request is implemented on C1, the CIs C2, C3, C4, and C5 could be impacted. The following figure shows the relationship among CIs and the CIs that are impacted by changes on C1.
To view the impact of change requests on source CIs
- Click the Remedyforce Console tab.
- From the View menu, select Change Requests.
- From the list of change requests, click the change request whose impact on CIs you want to view.
- From the Agent Tools menu, select Impact Analysis.
- In the Impact Analysis window, from the list of CIs linked to the change request, select the CI whose impact you want to view.
To view a CI in the Instance Editor, click the name of the CI in the Instance Name column.
- Click Analyze Impact.
If you do not select a CI that is linked to the change request, the Analyze Impact button is disabled.
All of the CIs that can be impacted if a change request is implemented on the selected CI are shown. For all of the impacted CIs, the value selected in the Has Impact field of relationships must be Yes.
To view business services only, click Business Services Only.
To view different fields of a CI in the list views of the Impact Analysis window, contact your system administrator.
- To get a list of impacted CIs, perform the following actions:
- Select the CI whose impacted CIs you want to view in a report.
- Click the Attach impacted CIs to change request button.
- Navigate back to the change request.
- Click Record Details.
- In the Notes & Attachments section, in the Action column, click View.
The list of CIs impacted by the selected CI is available in CSV format.
To view a CI and its relationship in a graphical manner, select the CI, and click Launch CI Explorer.
A CI or CI relationship for which the Mark As Deleted check box is selected is not displayed in the CI Explorer.