Defining buttons for custom actions
You can define custom buttons to perform custom actions on the record details page of an object. In the Salesforce page layout, custom buttons are shown in the beginning of the form and before the related lists. In the console layout, custom buttons are shown above the related lists.
Custom actions enable users to open specified URLs on the details pages of records. For example, you can create a custom button, Launch Wikipedia, to perform the custom action of launching http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php on the details page of an incident record.
To define a button for a custom action
- Click the Remedyforce Administration tab.
- On the Home page, click the Manage Objects tile, and from the menu, select Create and Edit Objects.
- From the Object list, select the object for which you want to create the custom button.
- In the Custom Buttons and Links section, click New.
- Enter a name for the button.
- In the Display Type field, select Detail Page Button.
- Enter other required details on the page.
For information, see https://na12.salesforce.com/help/doc/user_ed.jsp?loc=help&target=defining_custom_links.htm§ion=Customizing.
- Click Save.
- Open a record of the object for which you have created the custom button.
- Click Edit Layout.
- From the list on the left side, select Buttons.
- Drag the custom button in the Custom Buttons section.
If you are using the console layout, do not add an out-of-the-box button that is provided for the object. If you add such a button, the user is redirected to the Salesforce page layout.
- Click Save.