Configuring a Lookup field of an object
When you configure a Lookup type field, two objects are involved: the object to which you add the Lookup type field and the object from which you access the data. For example, on the
Incident object, you might want to add Lookup type field to the
Case object. In this example, the two objects involved are
To configure a Lookup type field of an object (out-of-the-box or custom) in the Remedyforce Console, add a field of type Lookup to the first object and then add the field to the layout of the same object.
You must also determine what fields you want to show as columns in the Lookup window that opens on the form. Configure the fields that you want to show as columns in the Lookup window in the Column Headers field set of the object whose Lookup you are adding (in the example, the
Case object). If the Column Headers field set does not exist for an object, add the field set and then add fields to the field set.
To configure a Lookup field of an object
- Click the Remedyforce Administration tab.
- On the Home page, click the Manage Objects tile, and from the menu, select Create and Edit Objects.
- On the Create and Edit Objects page, from the Object list, select the required object or click All Custom Objects and then click the object name.
- To add a field of type Lookup Relationship, perform the following actions:
- In the Custom Fields & Relationships section, click New.
- On the Step 1. Choose the field type page, select Lookup Relationship, and click Next.
- From the Related to list, select the object whose lookup you want to add to the object, and click Next.
For the example, select Case.
- In the Field Name field, enter the name of the field and other details, and click Next.
- For profiles, select the Visible or Read-Only check boxes to establish field-level security for the field, and click Next.
- Add the field to the layout of the object, and click Next.
The field will be shown in the layout that you will select.
- Click Save.
- To show the Lookup field on a form in the Remedyforce Console, add the field to a field set of the object.
For example, to show the Case field on the Incident form in the Remedyforce Console, add the field to the Console - Incident Details field set. To show a field in the Remedyforce Console, if you add the field to a field set that is not present on the Remedyforce <object name> Console version 1.0 layout, you must customize the layout and add the field set to the layout. To customize a layout, go to Remedyforce Administration > Application Settings > Consoles. For more information, see Managing custom layouts for console forms.
- To configure fields shown in the Lookup window as columns, perform the following actions:
- Navigate back to the object page (Setup > Create > Objects > Required object).
- If the Column Headers field set does not exist, in the Field Sets section, click New.
In the Field Sets section, click Edit for the Column Headers field set, and go to step 6.
- In the Field Set Label field, enter Column Headers.
In the Field Set Name field, enter LinkRecords.
For the Field Set Name field, you need to enter LinkRecords. Only then the fields that are configured in the field set are displayed for the Lookup window.
- In the Where is this used? field, enter the required description about the field set.
- Click Save.
For more information about field sets, see Salesforce Help.
- Drag the fields that you want to show in the Lookup window to the In the Field Set list.
- Click Save.