Navigating the User Console
Global Actions Bar
The Global Actions Bar is the options menu that is located just beneath the top branding area. This bar contains generic tools from which a user can select from at any point.
Note that some of the options in the Global Actions Bar are not supported in MVMA (Monitor Edition). You will not be able to use the Events, Manage Layouts or Change Password option, but can use the Last Errors option)
Global Actions Bar options are:
- admin console: Opens the Administration Console. This only appears if you log in with Product Administrator credentials.
- logout: Logs you out of the product.
- links: Lists links configured with available projects.
- share: Shares the workspace with another MVMA user. Displays URL for the current console that you can copy and paste to send to the targeted user.
- audit log: Displays the Audit Events log.
- events: Shows active events (depending on what the Product Administrator has configured) for connections. There are two types of events: Warning and Critical. This only appears if IBM WebSphere MQ is installed.
- Manage Layouts: Enables the user to create and manage various WMQ layouts.
- Display last error: Shows the last error that occurred in the product.
- Change Password: Lets the user change their password. Note that this is only available in the ADMIN_ADMIN security model. The user will be logged out automatically and redirected to the Login page after the password has successfully been changed.
- Provides access to the MVMA user documentation.
- About: Displays the version number.
- search (text box): Lets user search for objects in MVMA environment. Searchable objects are those for which indexing is enabled (indexing is enabled by the Product Administrator).
- advanced: Displays options for Advanced Search, including compound and free form queries. Searches can also be stored and reused.
The Navigational Panel is the grey-bordered white rectangle on the left of the screen. It is the primary navigation tool throughout – though not the only one.
Selecting any Navigation Panel object or category object changes the workspace contents.
The Navigational Panel is divided into various parts.
- Top level options, or modes: Projects/Tags/Connections.
- Filter text box that enables you to filter the list of entries shown in the Navigation Panel.
- The individual objects that match the option or mode selected. These can be project or middleware objects categories.
- Refresh button which updates the contents of the workspace.
- Edit button which enables users to edit WMQ layouts.
Note that some of the options in the Navigational Panel are not supported in MVMA (Monitor Edition). You will not be able to use the Tags tab, the Layout Editor, view All Queue Manager Connections, access Queue Statistics, access scheduled tasks, view archives, manage connection objects, and view the dashboard; there is also limited support for the import / export of connection objects (the import/export by tags is not supported).
The Workspace is the heart of the interface - a large rectangular area whose content reflects the latest user selection.
It is a flexible container that accommodates object views and editors. When you open MVMA, the workspace initially displays the BMC logo. This is replaced with the relevant views upon selection.
The Navigation Panel options (objects) control the contents of the workspace: selecting any object or category causes the related content to fill the workspace until another is selected or you drill down into the selected object.
Workspace contents change to reflect the last object selected. Two options are available:
- An object category; selecting it opens the corresponding Summary View.
- A specific object; selecting it opens its Properties Editor (or object properties view).
Thepresent both operations to perform on objects within the view lists as well as parameter categories. From this level, you can access the various Summary Views (see below) Properties Editors (see below) for individual object instances by clicking on the object name.
Select a category from the Navigation Panel to open a Summary View. In the image below, the user has first selected an IBM WebSphere MQ connection, and then the Channels option for a specific queue manager:
This view's elements include the following (note that according to the object selected these options will differ):
- <Title of view reflecting the selected connection and object category> (here: <queue manager>: Channels)
- Operations menu: Click the Operations arrow icon to display a list of available options, including object instances you can create (in the case of Channels, this starts the process of creating a new Channel). Note that the Add option is only available for the object categories supported by MVMA (where either the middleware or MVMA supports creating objects of that type; for example, it will not be available for views presenting a status overview for a certain object type such as queue/topic or cluster status). You can also click CSV Export to export the objects displayed in the Summary View. Note that the options in this menu change according to the object type selected.
- Auto-refresh: This option indicates that the current view is updated. The rate of refresh is set in the Timer option (see below).
- Timer: This Dashboard refresh timer is by default set to 'Off' but can be configured to run according to your requirements by clicking the arrow icon and selecting 5, 10 or 30 minutes. Note that this option re-fetches the data that is currently available in a snapshot so the view may not appear different if the actual snapshot routine is on a different schedule.
- Layout: This option enables you to select the 'Default Layout' or any customized layout you defined via the Layout Editor. See also Creating and managing User Console views.
- Share: Select to share page contents.
- Wildcard: Enter a string to filter the objects displayed in the Summary View. Alternatively, select the relevant option from the drop-down list (in this view, wildcard, regexp or system).
- The + icon in the far left column of each channel (object name) enables you to view a read-only summary of the properties for the selected object. To edit these properties, see the following Properties Editors section.
- Operations menu (in the column next to the + icon): Each row has an identical set of operations to apply to the selected object. In this Summary view, click on the arrow to select one of the available options.
The Properties Editors let you view and edit specific properties for an object instance such as a queue manager, queue, channel or server. For information about editing any specific property, refer to the related product documentation for IBM WebSphere MQ or TIBCO EMS.
Note that the Properties Editor for any object is accessed by clicking on the relevant object name in the Workspace.
Different interface objects interactions include text entry fields, pull-down lists and combination text-pull down boxes. For some objects, the full properties list cannot be displayed in a single browser window, or snapshot. Vertical scroll bars enable viewing of all properties within any given Editor.
In the example below, Local Queues is used. The queue selected is QUICKSILVER.
A set of Properties Editor functions are shown in a horizontal options bar just above the properties. These options are:
- Operations menu: Click the arrow icon to select from the available options. These options change according to the object type selected.
- Save: Confirms changes made for individual properties. Note that not all objects can be modified and therefore there will not be a Save icon displayed for these objects.
- Schedule Task: Schedules a creation or modification task to run in the future for the selected object. Again, not all objects can be modified or created and for these objects there will not be a Schedule icon displayed. See the Scheduling tasks section for more on scheduling tasks.
- Cancel Properties Editor: Exits to the previous view or opens the corresponding summary view.
- Wildcard: Select from the displayed drop-down options to filter the entries shown in the Properties Editor (in our example: wildcard, regexp, required, or modifiable (which filters the view to display only properties that can be modified)).
Navigation rules and variations
There are two basic types of navigation – horizontal and vertical – in MVMA. Horizontal navigation refers to moving between pages on the same user interface (User Console) level; vertical navigation means descending and ascending levels within the contents of a single object and its workspace views.
Horizontal navigation is what happens when you select objects at the same interface level. Selecting any Navigation Panel object fills the workspace with associated Summary View or Properties Editor content (depending on whether a category or specific object has been selected).
You might also regard scrolling between Navigation Panel pages as a form of horizontal navigation.
Vertical navigation is moving between levels within a single page or object. Think of this as in-page navigation or drilling down and up within an object's various levels.
The top level, or Summary View, can be thought of as the main page or topic. Select any object category, and the workspace fills with its Summary View.
The Properties Editors are at the next interface level. When you select an object (such as a queue from an IBM WebSphere MQ queue manager), its Properties Editor fills the workspace.
Vertical navigation also occurs when you select the triangular navigational arrow adjacent to objects within the Navigation Panel. This drills down within the Navigation Panel, displaying all objects that belong to a specific category.