Adding a historical data set dynamically
The ADD command can be entered as a primary command or as a line command.
When you use the ADD command, you have a choice of permanently or temporarily allocating the historical data set. To permanently save a dynamically allocated historical data set so that it is retained when the PAS is recycled, issue the SAVE command while adding a historical data set; otherwise, the data set is allocated temporarily.
To add a historical data set dynamically
- Create the data set by following the instructions for your type of PAS (Creating the z/OS PAS startup procedure or Creating a BBI-SS PAS startup procedure).
- Display the DSLIST view for the product for which you want to add a historical data set.
- Enter the ADD command in one of the following ways:
On the COMMAND line, type ADD and press Enter.
In the line command column, type A and press Enter.
The Add Historical Dataset dialog is displayed, as shown in following figure:
Add Historical Dataset COMMAND ===> SCROLL ===> CSR Enter dataset name and recording eligibility - Enter a fully qualified dataset name - Do not enclose dataset name in quotes - Dataset must have already been created Dataset name: Record? May be used for recording? Yes/No END to exit adding historical dataset ADD to add historical dataset and continue add dialog CANCEL to exit the add dialog HELP to view related help RESET to reset to initial data
- Enter the name of the historical data set that you want to allocate in the Dataset name field.
- Specify whether you want this data set to be eligible for recording by typing Yes or No in the Record? field and then pressing Enter.
DATA SET STARTEDis displayed.
Use this field to set recording eligibility of a data set initially; use the O line command to control recording eligibility after the data set is allocated (see Changing recording eligibility for more information).
- (optional) Add information for additional data sets, if necessary, and press Enter for each data set to add it dynamically.
- Press END to return to the DSLIST view.
DATA SET ALLOCATEDis displayed for each newly allocated data set and the data set name is added to the DSLIST view. Dynamic allocation is complete but does not make the data set a permanent member of the historical database. When the PAS is recycled, the data set name no longer appears on DSLIST and must be added again.
To permanently add a dynamically allocated data set to the historical database, issue the SAVE command.