Creating incidents or work orders from a chat
If automatic ticket creation is disabled, agents can create tickets manually when conversing with an end user. The agent also can select a template before creating an incident or work order and associate the chat to an existing ticket of the user.
To create incidents or work orders from a chat by using a template
- As an agent in an active chat session, on the Resources tab, enter a search term.
- Select a template and click Create Incident or Create Work Order.
If any required fields are blank, the incident or work order opens in the edit mode.
- Add any other details, if needed, and click Confirm + Save.
To create incidents or work orders from a chat without a template
In an active chat session, click Create Ticket.
- To create an incident, click Create Incident.
- To create a work order, click Create Work Order.
An incident or work order created from live chat can be auto-assigned to agents. Learn more about auto-assignment of tickets at
Fields populated after an incident or work order is created
After an incident or work order is created, the following fields are populated:
- Resources tab—Displays the incident or work order that is created.
- Description (or Summary)—First message that the end user types in the chat.
- Activity notes—Includes the following:
- The entire chat conversation before creation of the ticket.
- Attachments from the conversation before and after creating a ticket.
- Personal notes from the conversation.
- After closing the chat conversation, copy of the entire conversation transcript and personal notes i
The Detailed Description field remains blank when a ticket is created from Live Chat.
To associate a chat to an existing ticket
An agent can associate a chat to a ticket only if the following conditions are met:
- The ticket is of the type Incident or Work order.
- The chat is not already associated to a ticket.
- The support agent is a member or an associate member of the owner support group or the assigned support group of the ticket.
The following image provides information about how a chat is associated to a ticket:
- In an active chat session, click the Customer Information tab.
Click All Tickets or Open Tickets, and from the list click.
The chat is associated to the ticket based on the ticket status.
If the ticket is Open and not associated to the chat, Live Chat performs the following actions:
The ticket is updated with the Chat ID.
The entire chat transcript, articles, notes, and attachments added to the chat conversation are copied to the ticket.
If the ticket is Resolved or Closed and is created by using a template, Live Chat performs the following actions:
A new ticket is created by using the same template.
The chat transcript, articles, notes, and attachments added to the chat conversation are added to the Activity notes of the new ticket.
A Related To relationship is created between the two tickets.
If the ticket is Resolved or Closed and is created without using a template, Live Chat performs the following actions:
- A new ticket is created.
- The Summary, Description, Impact, Urgency and Operational, and Product Categorizations fields are copied to the new ticket from the current ticket.
- The chat transcript, articles, notes, and attachments added to the chat conversation is added to the Activity notes of the new ticket.
- A Related To relationship is created between the two tickets.
If the ticket is already created in the current application, a support agent cannot transfer the chat to a support queue of another application.
For example, if the ticket is created in c, then you cannot transfer the chat to a support queue in BMC Helix Business Workflows.
The application URL parameter is the configured in the ES_Chat:ConsumingApplication form.
To remove the association of a chat to a ticket
Agents can remove the association of a chat to a ticket by using the button. The following image displays the button with the associated ticket.
The button is displayed next to a ticket, only if the ticket is associated to the current chat session. This button is not displayed if the agent has created the ticket by using the Create Ticket button in the current chat session.
What happens when you remove the association of a chat to a ticket
The chat session ID stored on the Incident or Work Order forms is removed.
A note is added to the ticket activity log about the ticket dissociation, which is not removed.
If a new ticket was created during the association, it will be marked as canceled.
- If a new relationship was created during the association, the relationship will be removed.