Using knowledge search to resolve incidents and investigate problems
If you have installed BMC Knowledge Management along with BMC Service Desk, you can use knowledge search to look for existing documented solutions to similar incidents, or for assistance with identifying the root cause during a problem investigation.
Perform the following steps to use knowledge search with BMC Service Desk.
To search for a knowledge article from a BMC Service Desk record
- Open the record that you are working on.
- Click the Search Knowledge Base link to launch the Search Knowledge dialog box. The location of the link differs depending on the view that you use.
- Best Practice view — Click Functions > Search Knowledge Base.
- Classic view — Click Quick Links > Search Knowledge Base.
An advanced search is performed automatically, using values from the Categorization tab of the Incident, Problem, or Known Error record, and the search results are displayed.
To modify the search criteria, click the Advanced Search link in the Search Knowledge dialog box and modify them as required. If you prefer to search by keyword only, clear the check boxes in the Product Categorization and Operational Categorization sections.
For more information, see.
- Select a knowledge article in the list of search results to view it.
(Optional) If you find the information in the knowledge article useful, click Use.
Alternatively, you can click Relate to relate the knowledge article to the Incident. For more information see, Creating a relationship with a BMC Service Desk record.
For Incident records, clicking Use populates the fields in the Categorization tab with the resolutions categories that are defined in the knowledge article. Additionally, a Resolved by relationship with the knowledge article is created. For more information, see Categorizing documented resolutions.