Version 9.1.00 enhancements
This topic describes the enhancement provided in version 9.1.00 of BMC Knowledge Management.
BMC Knowledge Management now provides support for the knowledge management methods defined by the Knowledge Centered Support (KCS) framework. While BMC Knowledge Management is a full-fledged knowledge management tool in itself, it provides back-end support for KCS for the benefit of organizations that follow the KCS framework in the their IT support processes.
The following enhancements are provided in BMC Knowledge Management to provide support for KCS framework:
- New permission groups—KCS Candidate, KCS Contributor, KCS Publisher, KCS Coach
BMC Knowledge Management user permissions and KCS user permissions are mutually exclusive. At one time, a user can have either BMC Knowledge Management user permissions or KCS user permissions. You can assign KCS permissions to users one at a time, or to multiple users in bulk using the People Management Console. Iif the users have existing BMC Knowledge Management user permissions, and you add KCS permissions, then the BMC Knowledge Management user permissions are automatically removed before KCS permissions are added.
- New out-of-the box knowledge template—KCS template
- Several new and updated backend forms and escalations
- Data Management enhancements for creating KCS articles from the KCS template
The following enhancements are provided in BMC Remedy with Smart IT (Smart IT) and BMC Remedy Smart Reporting:
- Smart IT—KCS users have access to additional KCS specific functionality, when working on Knowledge Articles through the Smart IT interface
- BMC Remedy Smart Reporting—Several out-of-the-box reports that enable a KCS Coach to review articles and author performance.
For detailed information, see KCS support in BMC Knowledge Management.
- You can use the KCS features only through Smart IT and BMC Remedy Smart Reporting user interfaces.
- With the introduction of KCS support, there is no change in existing features or functionalities of the BMC Knowledge Management application. If your organization does not follow the KCS framework, you can continue to use the BMC Knowledge Management application.
Improved search result relevancy
The default values of Boost Use Relevancy and Boost View Relevancy fields in the Application Configuration form are updated so that their impact is restrained, thus improving the search relevancy. As a result, more relevant articles are listed higher up in the search results. For more information, see Relevancy section and SW00498505in BMC Knowledge Management online documentation.
Enhancement to BMC Remedy ITSM user permissions
The following enhancements or changes are made to the BMC Remedy ITSM data access model:
- Support group centric ticket data access — Ticket data access is now managed based on individuals (for example, submitter, on behalf of, and assignee) and support groups associated with a ticket. This restricts ticket access to only those users who are directly connected to a ticket or to a support group associated with a ticket. For more information, see Row level security.
- Support for hierarchical groups — This feature is based on the existing hierarchical group feature in BMC Remedy AR System and allows you to create collector groups that are parents of other groups. The parent group can access its own ticket data and the ticket data of its child groups. You can extend the ticket data access to higher groups using hierarchical groups. For more information, see Hierarchical groups.
- Assignment menus are tied to the company fields — Manual support group assignment is now restricted to the company the ticket is for. The assignment menus display support groups relevant to the location and contact companies mentioned on a ticket. The new Application Administration Console > Foundation > Advanced Options > Support Group Assignment Configuration > Configure Assignment Groups for a Service Company form allows you to define valid support groups for a company. For more information, see Support group configuration for assignments.
For more information on the above enhancements and post upgrade considerations, see Data access model enhancements in BMC Remedy ITSM 9.1.
This feature affects the following BMC Remedy ITSM applications:
- BMC Asset Management
- BMC Change Management
- BMC Service Desk
- BMC Service Request Management
- BMC Knowledge Management
- BMC Service Level Management (only hierarchical groups)
Known and corrected issues for a list of open issues and issues corrected in this release.
Version 9.1.00 enhancements for information about enhancements in BMC Remedy ITSM Suite.