Knowledge article templates
Templates provide structure to your knowledge articles and include useful features such as a rich text editor and support for multimedia content. You must select a template before you can create a new knowledge article.
BMC Knowledge Management provides the following out-of-the-box knowledge article templates:
- Decision Tree — Use this template to create knowledge articles that provide aid in making decisions while performing tasks. This template does not support rich text.
- How To — Use this template to create knowledge articles that provide step-by-step instructions to complete a task.
- Known error — Use this template to create knowledge articles that provide root cause information and workarounds for a known issue.
- Problem Solution — Use this template to document a resolution for a problem after identifying the root cause during a problem investigation.
- Reference — Use this template to create an information resource.
KCS template — This template is structured according to the Knowledge Centered Support (KCS) article definition. Use this template to create knowledge articles that provide the problem; environment information such as hardware, software and so on; resolution of the problem; and the underlying cause. For more information, see Working with the KCS template.
- Articles created using any template, except the KCS template, are fully functional in the BMC Knowledge Management application. You can create articles and perform all actions on articles except KCS articles by accessing the BMC Knowledge Management application through BMC Remedy Mid Tier.
- To work with KCS articles, you must have BMC Knowledge Management 9.1.00 or higher and Smart IT 1.3 or higher installed on your system. The KCS articles are fully functional in Smart IT. From the BMC Knowledge Management application, you can only search for and relate to KCS articles.
- The KCS template is a ready-to-use template that is structured according to a sample template defined by the KCS framework. However, you can use any knowledge template to perform the KCS-defined knowledge management functions.