Configuring visibility groups
BMC Knowledge Management uses visibility groups to restrict access to knowledge base content. To configure visibility groups, you create a group and map it to an underlying AR group.
You can create visibility groups for a specific company or for the Global company:
- When you create a visibility group for a specific company, only users who belong to both the underlying AR group and the company can view articles that are assigned to that visibility group.
- When you create a visibility group for the Global company, the articles assigned to that group are available for all users in the underlying AR group regardless of their company.
You can create many visibility groups for one company. When assigning visibility groups to articles, you can set complex permissions by assigning several visibility groups from the same company or from different companies.
For more information about assigning visibility groups to articles, see.
The current version of BMC Knowledge Management supports visibility groups that were created in BMC Remedy Knowledge Management 7.5. When you import version 7.5 knowledge articles, assigned visibility groups are also imported.
To configure visibility groups
- From the Knowledge console, select Functions > Manage Knowledge Visibility. The Visibility Group Info - Mapping to AR Group form opens in Search mode.
To search for visibility groups, enter search values and click Search.
If your server is configured to allow unqualified searches, you can leave all fields blank to get all the visibility groups defined on the server. If not, a message appears prompting you to enter a search value in at least one field.
When you display a group in Search mode, you can modify only the AR group field.
- To create a new group, click New Request, and enter values for the following fields:
- Company – Select the company to which the visibility group applies.
- Group Name – Enter a name for the visibility group.
Long Group Name – Select the AR group that you want to associate with the visibility group. You can also select computed groups.
AR Group ID and AR Group Name are read-only fields that display the ID and the full name of the selected AR group.
When you create a support group, an underlying AR Group is automatically created. To map a support group with a visibility group, select the corresponding AR Group Name. To create a Long Group Name, see .
Status – Select Active or Inactive to enable or disable the Knowledge Visibility group.
- Click Save.
To delete a Knowledge Visibility Group Mapping
- From the Knowledge console, select Functions > Manage Knowledge Visibility.
- To search for visibility groups, enter search values and click Search.
- Select the required Knowledge Visibility Group from the results window.
- Click Delete.
- On the confirmation window, click OK.
The Knowledge Visibility Group is deleted.