Performing advanced searches
The Advanced Search page provides fields that you can use to define additional search criteria and narrow your search results, as follows:
- Enter more specific search criteria (for example, searching for an exact phrase instead of separate keywords).
- Provide additional search criteria.
After you set advanced search parameters, the Use Advanced Search Criteria check box appears in the Simple Search page. This enables you to change search words and include advanced search parameters without having to go back to the Advanced Search page.
To perform an advanced search
- Click Advanced Search.
- Click section headings to expand or hide sections, as required.
Define your search criteria, using the parameters shown in.
Use a space to separate search words that you enter as text.
(optional)Select sources in the Sources panel, using the information provided in the following table. By default, all sources are selected.
Search source tasks
Select one or more sources.
Select the check box or boxes next to the topic of choice.
Deselect one or more topics.
Clear the check box or boxes next to the topic of choice.
Select all topics for all sources.
Click Select All.
Deselect all topics for all sources.
Click Deselect All.
You can save your source selection, and re-use those preferences in future searches. For more information, see Using predefined search criteria.
- (optional) Define one or more value combinations for use as search criteria in the General, Operational Categorization, Product Categorization, Environment, and Business Service panels.
- Open the Operational Categorization panel, and select a value for Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3.
- Click Add Operational to add the search to the search criteria table.
- Select another value (for example, for Tiers 1 and Tier 2, or for Tier 1 only).
- Click Add Operational. Two search values are defined for this section, and searches are performed for Value 1 or Value 2 (using the OR operator).
- To delete a value, select the value and click Delete.
- (optional) Click Clear All to clear all the Advanced Search criteria.
- Click Search.
The Simple Search page opens and displays the search results.
- (optional) Click Advanced Search to go back to the Advanced Search page and refine your search criteria, as required.
Recommended practice example
Francie Stafford a Support staff member, needs to search the knowledge database for a topic on which she is working. She is investigating a commonly recognized problem based on a series of recently received requests. Based on the data, Francie wants to build an advanced search. She needs to be as efficient as possible and to find the most relevant information. To achieve maximum efficiency, she needs to be able to search on specific fields and various field combinations, including multiple field values, building the strings into an advanced search string. For example, her search could be a combination of products in a similar family, such as the BMC Remedy product line, or based on operational categorization, such as account security and upgrades.