An approval process is required for the following status transitions in BMC Knowledge Management:
- before an article status is set to Published.
- before an article status is set to Retired.
- before an article is Cancelled.
- A user with the Knowledge Admin permission can move articles to the Cancelled status from any other status and without activating the approval process.
- You can configure all phases for knowledge request life cycle however, you can set only one phase at a time.
For the Global company, BMC Knowledge Management provides a set of predefined approval chains for each status transition that requires an approval (Published, Retired, and Cancelled).
- Auto approval — The default approval chain configured in system installation. The system provides an automatic approval for every request.
- Level approval— The following options are available:
- Level All — All of the approvers from the approvers list must approve the article for each level. The article moves to the next approval level only after all the approvers have approved. If the approvers include a group, one member of the group is enough.
- Level One — At least one approver from the approvers list must approve the article for each level. The article moves to the next approval level after one approver has approved.
Ad-hoc approval — Makes the article's owner the initial approver. The owner can choose to approve the article and end the approval process, or to approve the article and then define another ad-hoc approver who can make the same choice and continue the chain of approvals.
If you enable the Ad-hoc approval chain, only the current approver receives an approval request in Approval Central. Initially, the article owner receives an approval request in Approval Central, and then each new ad-hoc approver receives an approval request when they are defined by the previous ad-hoc approver.
Based on the configured approval chains, the system determines whether an approval process is required, and whose approval is required.
Changing the initial approver for ad-hoc approvals
You can use the AR System - Approval Server Process Definition form to change the initial owner for the Ad-hoc approval chain. Perform the following steps:
- In the flyout menu, select Quick Links > Approval Administration Console.
- On Process tab of the the AR System - Approval Server Administration form, select the RKM_Adhoc process, or your custom ad-hoc process if you created one, and click View.
On the AR System - Approval Server Process Definition form, use the menu of the First Approver Field to select a knowledge article field that contains the name of a user.
For example, select the Submitter field from the menu to make the person who submitted the knowledge article its initial approver. The First Approver Field will then display
$Submitter$as its value.
By default, the First Approver Field for the RKM_Adhoc process displays
$ArticleOwnerLoginID$as its value.
- Click Save.