Service Asset Lifecycle use case
The goal of the Service Asset Lifecycle use case is to illustrate how procurement requests are initiated and managed through fulfillment.
The following symbols are used:
Actor — User role that interacts with a component in the system
Boundary — Component that represents an interface with which Actors interact
Entity — Domain objects within the system that typically present a persisted state of that object
Control — Components that connect Boundary and Entity components and implement some logic to manage the interaction between them
This use case has the following steps:
- The configuration administrator (asset manager) defines standard configurations for issued equipment. For example, the configuration administrator defines a "Standard Sales Laptop Configuration" as being comprised of a laptop, power supply, case, and external hard drive.
- A license has been set up for Microsoft Project. Copies of the license are available from the inventory. Software License Management can be employed to ensure software license compliance.
- The end user accesses self service through the BMC Service Request Management interface and requests a Standard Sales Laptop Configuration pack and a copy of Microsoft Project.
- BMC Service Request Management creates the purchase request and reserves a copy of Microsoft Project from the pool of available licenses.
- The configuration administrator reviews the purchase request and creates a purchase order for the laptop and accessories.
- On receipt of the purchase, the configuration administrator logs into the Receiving Console and marks the items as received. BMC Asset Management automatically generates a new CI for the laptop request.
- The configuration administrator creates a change request for the build and handover of the laptop and the installation of Microsoft Project, which is completed once the user's laptop is installed.
- After the laptop is installed, BMC BladeLogic Client Automation or a third-party discovery tool (like Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager) enriches BMC Atrium CMDB with additional details concerning the new laptop.