Overview of the user onboarding process
The user onboarding process adds users from BMC Remedy Action Request System (BMC Remedy AR System) to BMC Remedy Smart Reporting.
In Smart Reporting, users are not added manually. They are always added through the onboarding process. Users with duplicate email address in BMC AR System are not onboarded in BMC Remedy Smart Reporting.
The user onboarding process performs the following functions:
- Creates a single data source for one BMC Remedy Smart Reporting instance.
- In addition to a default client organization, creates a Smart Reporting Client Organization for each company that is onboarded.
- Onboards BMC Remedy AR System users to BMC Remedy Smart Reporting for all the companies in your environment and adds these users to their respective client organizations.
A web-based interface is available for user onboarding.
Starting with Service Pack 2, the BMC Remedy Smart Reporting Admin Console provides the options for user onboarding.
Based on your deployment option, you can onboard users for a single company in your BMC Remedy IT Service Management (ITSM) environment or for multiple companies in your BMC Remedy ITSM multicompany environment. During multicompany user onboarding, you can onboard users for one company at a time or for multiple companies in bulk.This topic provides the following information:
User creation filter criteria in onboarding
During user onboarding, all users with a Fixed or Floating license type, and are in the Current status are onboarded to BMC Remedy Smart Reporting. You can select users who belong to specific BMC Remedy AR System groups by using the appropriate user creation filter criterion. In scenarios where you have a large number of users but only specific groups need to access the reporting content, you can onboard specific user groups by applying a filter criterion. Currently, you can filter users on the basis of only the BMC Remedy AR System groups.
Users with Read license type cannot be onboarded by using user filter criterion.
The user creation filter criteria works in the following manner:
- The BMC Remedy AR System groups filter criterion lists all the groups that are available in the Group form, except the Computed group.
- You can select multiple groups; however, if you do not select any groups, users in all BMC Remedy AR System groups are onboarded.
- When you apply BMC Remedy AR System groups as a filter criteria users that fulfill all of the following criteria are onboarded:
- Licence type: Fixed or Floating
- Status: Current
- Group membership: The selected BMC Remedy AR System group
- To use the user creation filter criteria, you must have the following product version
- BMC Remedy AR System 9.1.00 or later
- BMC Remedy ITSM 9.1.00 or later
- BMC Remedy Smart Reporting 9.1.00 or later
The user creation filter criteria is applicable to single company onboarding and multicompany onboarding.
Supported company types in BMC Remedy ITSM mutlicompany onboarding
The BMC Remedy ITSM multicompany onboarding process supports only the following company types:
- Operating Company
- Service Provider
Onboard multiple companies in bulk
BMC Remedy Smart Reporting provides an option to onboard multiple companies at a time. This onboarding option is useful in a typical BMC Remedy ITSM multicompany environment, set up with multiple companies in a shared BMC Remedy AR System environment. The bulk onboarding option eliminates the need to repeat the onboarding procedure multiple times for each company. The onboarding web interface provides an option that enables you to provide the company-specific data for all companies by using a comma-separated values (CSV) file.
The file contains comma separated values of the company name, user name of reporting administrator for that company, and BMC Remedy AR System groups set as the filter criteria. The entries in the CSV file must have the following format:
- For a single BMC Remedy AR System group set as a filter criterion—<companyname>,<username>,<AR Group;>
- For multiple BMC Remedy AR System groups set as filter criteria—<companyname>,<username>,<AR Group 1;AR Group 2; ... ;AR Group N;>
You must add an entry for one company on one line in the CSV file. Note the following points about the CSV file:
- Adding BMC Remedy AR System groups as filter criteria is optional. If you do not add any groups, users from all groups who match the default License Type and Status filter criteria are onboarded.
When you add any groups as filter criteria, only the users of the selected group that have a Fixed or Floating license and the Current status are onboarded.
- The <companyName> that you specify must be one of the supported company types.
- The <username> that you specify must be the BMC Remedy Smart Reporting Administrator. For a company, you can assign only one user as the reporting administrator. Thus the CSV file contains only one <username> record per company. All other users for that company are automatically onboarded, based on their License Type, Status, and the BMC Remedy AR System group that you select.
- Do not add any spaces between the input parameters in the CSV file.
Before you begin
- Read how multicompany user onboarding works.
- If secured login (https) is enabled on the Apache Tomcat server for BMC Remedy Smart Reporting, configure the onboarding and content import links for secured login.
- (Only for multicompany user onboarding) If you are upgrading from a previous version of BMC Remedy Smart Reporting to version 9.1.00, you must manually update the qualification criteria in a BMC Remedy AR System form after upgrade completes and before the BMC Remedy Smart Reporting User Sync (User Sync) utility runs. Otherwise, users from the companies that you onboarded in previous versions are deleted after User Sync utility runs.
In BMC Remedy Smart Reporting you cannot onboard multiple customers for the same BMC Remedy AR System server. If you have already onboarded a customer, offboard the existing customer before onboarding another customer for the same AR System server. For multicompany user onboarding, you must perform the same procedure if you want to again onboard a company that you deleted earlier. For more information, see Offboarding users and clearing the database in BMC Remedy Smart Reporting.
If you previously deleted the client organization for a particular company manually, you must manually delete the entries for that client organization from the SmartReporting_ClientOrg_Content_Info form. For example, if you deleted the client organization clientorg, you must delete all entries that have clientorg in the Client Org Name field of the SmartReporting_ClientOrg_Content_Info form.
- If you previously uninstalled BMC Remedy Smart Reporting and then reinstalled it by pointing to the same BMC Remedy AR System server, ensure that you delete all entries from the SmartReporting_ClientOrg_Content_Info and SmartReportingServer_Info forms, before you start the user onboarding process. You must do this as a cleanup process; it does not apply if you are upgrading BMC Remedy Smart Reporting from a previous version.