Creating product categories (optional)
Before creating or modifying product information, it is important to understand product relationships.
- When you are creating product category information:
The Product Name or Manufacturer field is optional, but both are required if either is specified.
Do not use special characters for the Product Name field. For example, single quotes, double quotes, and so on.
- One tier can be sufficient, depending on the item being created.
- If you create a product that requires less than three tiers, the other tiers must be set to "- None -."
- Each product category can have more than one product model/version and more than one product alias.
- Products can be associated with one or more companies.
- A product is available for selection on other forms after it has been associated with a company or when a product category is created.
- After you relate a product to a company and an application, it can be used in forms that contain the product categorization fields.
- Each product model/version can have one or more patches.
To add a product category
- From the Application Administration Console, click the Custom Configuration tab.
From the Application Settings list, choose Foundation > Products/Operational Catalogs > Product Catalog, and then click Open. The Product Catalog Setup form appears as shown in the following figure.
The Product Catalog Setup form appears.
On the Product Category tab, click Create. The Product Category Update form appears.
- Optionally enter or select a Product Type.
- Select the configuration item (CI) type. The CI Type field specifies the type of CI for which you are creating this product catalog.
- Select or enter the Product Categorization Tiers. If you are creating a product that requires only one tier, enter None for the other two tiers.
- Enter or select a product name.
- If you specify a product name, specify a manufacturer. Select a manufacturer, or click New to add a manufacturer. If you click New:
- In the New Manufacturer dialog box, enter a company.
- In the Status field, select Enabled.
- Click Save.
In the Product Category Update dialog box, select Enabled for the status.
You can set the status to Proposed to temporarily prevent the category from being selected from an application.
- In the Origin field, accept the default value of Custom. Third Party is used for products imported from an external source.
- Select whether this definition is to be available across all applications in the BMC Remedy ITSM Suite.
- Click Save. You can use the search fields in the Product Categorization Search Criteria area at the top of the Product Catalog Setup form to view the added product.
- To define the company and module relationships, complete the steps in the next section, Relating a company or application to an operational category.
- Click Close.