This topic describes how to create a group assignment and includes information about auto assignments.
The following sections are provided:
To create a group assignment
- From the Application Administration Console, click the Custom Configuration tab.
- From the Application Settings list, choose Foundation> Configure Assignment> Configure Application Assignment, and then click Open. The Configure Assignment form is displayed.
Configure Assignment form
- To change the form to New mode, click New Request on the form in a browser.
- In the Event field, select the type of assignment entry.
- Select a status for the assignment. For an active assignment, the status should be Enabled.
Optionally, you can select a sort order.
The assignment is placed in order, based on the number selected. When two or more assignment rules match the criteria, the one that has a greater sort order is given preference. Generic assignments should have a lower sort order and specific assignments should have a greater sort order.
- In the Assignment area, select the support company, support organization, and assigned group to use for assignment.
- In the Routing Order area, as an advanced feature you can further specify when this assignment entry should be used for the automated assignment. When a BMC Remedy ITSM application uses the routing order, which is a feature of many of the main ticketing forms, it uses information from the form to find an assignment entry and, in turn, the support group for assignment.
The Contact Company and Company fields are required.
You can map the Assignment entry using the following data structures:
Operational Categorization is not used in the BMC Asset Management application.
In the Available Systems area, select the BMC Remedy ITSM applications and modules to which to apply the assignment entry. For example, you can create an assignment entry that applies only to the Incident Management feature of the BMC Service Desk application. This enables you to select different support groups for assignment, even if the mapping selections are the same.
The settings specified in the Available Systems area are applicable only for the events relevant to the systems (also referred as parent systems) listed in this area. If you create an event relevant to a child system, it is considered for auto assignment irrespective of the settings specified in the Available Systems area.
For example, task is a child of Change Management, Incident Management, and Work Order Management. However, when you create a Task Assignee type of event and do not select the Yes check box for Change Management, Incident Management, and Work Order Management, tasks are still considered for auto assignment.
- Click Save.
You can configure assignment routing so that the system automatically assigns records, such as problem investigations or change requests, to the appropriate support group. To automatically assign issues or requests to a group, use the Group Assignment form.
When a BMC Remedy ITSM application uses the routing order, it uses form information to find an assignment record and to select the support group for assignment.
Using the BMC Remedy Assignment Engine application, which is packaged with BMC Remedy ITSM, you can define criteria to automatically assign an issue to a specific individual from the available people. For more information about the Assignment Engine, see Assigning requests with the Assignment Engine.
To remove an individual from auto-assignment, set the Assignment Availability field on the People record to No.