Creating a report
Having created our view we are now ready to create reports using the Report Writer. When creating a new report you will have begin with an initialization step. The step is required for you to select the source system and the view you wish to access, as well as the type of builder you wish to use.
This short video describes how to create a basic report.
The following example describes how to create a basic report:
Step 1 - Create
- Click the Create link in the main navigation bar of the system, and select the Report option.
- In the New Report window, select a view, for example, Incident Management, in order to use the fields defined within it for creating the report.
Step 2 - Data
- From the list of folders on the left, expand the Incident Details folder.
Drag and drop the Incident ID field into the preview area.
You can also drag it directly into the Column or Rows list. Dragging the field into the Columns list creates a Incident ID column that goes down the page, where the Rows creates a Incident ID row that goes across the page.
Expand the Incident Owner category and drag the Submitter field next to the Incident ID field in either the Columns or Preview area.
Expand the Date and time category and drag the Reported Date field in the Rows area.
Click on the Column Formatting icon in the main Formatting bar in order to open the formatting menu. Here you can adjust the title and formatting options applied to each of the fields in the report.
Select the Incident ID field to open its options.
Change the Display name of the field to Incident No.
Click the X button on the top-right corner of the Column Formatting menu to close it and apply changes.
Step 3 - Charts
- Click on the Charts link in the main navigation bar in order to progress to the Chart Builder step.
You will now have a list of fields on the left side of the builder that are available from the table you defined on the Data step.
- Drag the Reported Date field into the Horizontal Axis component of the Auto Chart builder.
- Drag the Incident No field into the Vertical Axis component.
You will now have generated a line chart. In order to change the chart type manually, you will need to switch from the Auto Chart builder to a specific type.
- Open the Select Chart panel on the right of the screen.
- Locate the Pie section and choose a basic Pie Chart.
Your chart will now change to a Pie.
- Click on the Labels formatting menu in the main navigation bar in order to enable some labeling.
- Set Labels display to On and select the Category and Percentage options.
- Click X to close the menu and apply your label settings.
Step 4 - Output
- Click on the Output link in the main navigation bar in order to progress to the Report Output step. Here you can apply formatting options and save the report.
Click on the Report link in the main navigation bar and select the Save option.
Define a Name and Description for the report, then provide Category and Sub Category options for storage.
Click on the Activate button to save your report and activate it for consumer use.
For more information around the creation of Reports in BMC Remedy Smart Reporting see the Creating a custom report using BMC Remedy Smart Reporting.