Counting records that use the target value in specified fields
Before you modify data, you can use the data wizard to count records that use the target value. For example, if you plan to change a site name from Canada to Canadian HQ, the data wizard can tell you:
- All forms that reference the Site Name field
- How many records on each form contain the target value ("Canada" in the example)
You can use this information for planning the change.
- Access the data wizard.
- Log on to the BMC Remedy AR System server as an administrator.
- From the Applications list on the IT Home page, select Data Management > Data Wizard. The Data Wizard Console is displayed as shown in the following figure.
Data Wizard Console
- Select the Count target values action.
- Select the data that you are counting. You can select any of the following types of data:
- Company Name
- Person Name
- Login ID
- Generic Categorization
- Operational Categorization
- Product Categorization
- Product Model / Version
- Site Name
- Site Information
- Support Group
- When you select the type of data, a window appears, prompting you for the target value. Enter or select the target value.
For some types of data, you might specify values for multiple fields. For example, for Product Categorization, you can specify multiple tiers of categorization.
For some types of data, you can specify search criteria to locate the appropriate original value. For example, for Person Name, you can specify the Company Name.
Example of the Data Wizard Console ready to count records for a person name
- Click Go. You are prompted to confirm whether to proceed.
When you proceed, the Data Wizard Status window appears, listing forms to be counted. As the count proceeds, the status changes from Pending to Complete.
If you close the Data Wizard Status window, you can open it by clicking View Status. When the count is complete, however, you cannot open this window.
For information about viewing the audit log, see Viewing the audit log for count records.