Adding product aliases
A product alias is another term or abbreviation that you can use to reference a product. The product alias is used to search for a product in Product Name fields. For example, you might have a product with a long name such as Microsoft Product ABC 2005. You can create an alias such as ABC, and then users can enter this alias in a Product Name field to fill the remainder of the tiers.
A Product entry can have multiple Product Alias entries defined.
To create product aliases, you need either Config Categorization Admin or Config Categorization User permission.
Each time a product is created, an alias is automatically created. Use this procedure to create additional aliases for a product.
To add a product alias
- From the Application Administration Console, click the Custom Configuration tab.
- From the Application Settings list, choose Foundation> Products/Operational Catalogs> Product Catalog, and then click Open. The Product Catalog Setup form appears.
- Enter search criteria in the fields in the Product Categorization Search Criteria area of the form, and then click Search.
- From the results list, select a product.
- Click the Product Alias tab, and then click Create. The Update Product Alias dialog box appears.
Enter a Product Alias, and then click Save.
To modify a product alias, first delete by selecting it on the Product Alias tab and clicking Delete. Then add the product alias that you prefer.