Version 9.0.00 enhancements
This topic describes new or updated features in version 9.0.00.
BMC Remedy ITSM Suite enhancements
This section describes new or updated features that are common to two or more of the BMC Remedy IT Service Management (ITSM) applications.
Separate online documentation for installation and upgrade information
Starting with the 9.0.00 release, the installation and upgrade information of BMC Remedy ITSM is available through the new BMC Remedy ITSM Suite 9.0 Deployment online documentation.
The BMC Remedy ITSM Suite 9.0 Deployment online documentation contains consolidated information of installation and upgrade procedures for all the components in the BMC Remedy ITSM Suite. This online documentation categorizes the components as:
- Platform components: BMC Remedy Action Request (AR) System components and BMC Atrium Core components
- Application components: BMC Remedy ITSM core components, BMC Service Request Management, BMC Service Level Management, and BMC Remedy ITSM Process Designer
The installation and upgrade information for BMC Remedy ITSM is no longer available in the BMC Remedy ITSM online documentation.
Continue to refer to the BMC Remedy ITSM online documentation for information about configuring after installation.
New smart reporting solution
New utility to promote data or code from development to production environment
The BMC IT Service Management version 9.0 introduces the utility to enable you to promote standard changes effectively and reliably across environments. The BMC Remedy Deployment Application provides better control to promote the AR System object customizations and data from one environment to another.
For more information, BMC Remedy Deployment Application.
New Archiving solution
This release of BMC IT Service Management includes an archiving solution that is ready to implement out-of-the-box. The new Archiving solution helps you to maintain system performance and to comply with record retention policies by providing a way to remove obsolete records from your production database using a regular, controlled, and predictable process. The Archiving process helps you to achieve these goals by moving qualified transactional data records from the related production data forms (including certain associated forms) to a set of corresponding archiving forms (all within the same database). The Archive process also provides you with an exporting mechanism that you can use to remove archived records from the archive forms when they have passed their retention date.
The new archiving solution runs on its own thread of execution to help preserve overall system performance. It also employs "chunking" when fetching qualified records (that is, it fetches records in batches, rather than all at once) to ensure that the thread won't die when processing large volumes of records.
The implementation of dedicated thread processing along with an archive schedule (a single schedule for the entire archiving run, as opposed to scheduling archiving by individual form) also ensures that that you do not have multiple overlapping archiving processes attempting to run at the same time.
For more information, see Archiving.
Use Onboarding wizard to update data
With this release of BMC IT Service Management, you can use the Data Management Onboarding wizard to update certain types of data.
For more information, see Onboarding Foundation and Assignment data.
LDAP integration for People data
BMC Remedy ITSM 9.0 supports LDAP integration for importing People data through the Data Management Onboarding wizard.
For more information, see Onboarding Foundation and Assignment data.
Enhanced Online help implementation
The online help implementation for BMC Remedy IT Service Management 9.0 has changed. The implementation for customers behind a firewall and customers outside a firewall is different. For more information, see Enhanced Online help documentation implementation in the BMC Remedy ITSM Deployment documentation.
BMC Remedy ITSM application enhancements
For information about BMC Service Request Management enhancements, see Version 9.0.00 enhancements in the BMC Service Request Management documentation.
This release includes only corrected issues for the following applications:
- BMC Asset Management
- BMC Change Management
- BMC Knowledge Management
- BMC Process Designer
- BMC Service Desk
- BMC Service Level Management
For more information about the issues that are corrected in this release, see Known and corrected issues.
BMC IT Service Management Installation and upgrade enhancements
This section links to information in the BMC Remedy ITSM Suite Deployment space about enhancements to the BMC Remedy ITSM installation and upgrade process.
BMC Remedy AR System enhancements
This section links to information in the BMC Remedy AR System space about enhancements in version 9.0.00 of BMC Remedy AR System.
- BMC Remedy AR System 9.0.00 enhancements (main page for BMC Remedy AR System and BMC Remedy Migrator enhancements, including a What's New video)
BMC Atrium Core enhancements
This section links to information in the BMC Atrium Core space about enhancements in version 9.0.00 of BMC Atrium Core product.
- BMC Atrium Core 9.0.00 enhancements (main page for BMC Atrium Core enhancements)
- Separate online documentation for installation and upgrade information
- New CMDB Dashboard that provides key metrics about the CMDB and CIs
- Improved performance by use of Denormalized CMDB Data Storage
- Reduced time to value due to the preconfigured integration of BMC Atrium Discovery and Dependency Mapping
- Reduced time and expense of integration with preconfigured integration of Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager
- New dataset-level permissions
- Central management of configuration logs in a server group environment
- Configuring BMC Atrium CMDB Engine
- Introduction of RESTful API to simplify integrations between platforms
BMC ITSM Process Designer enhancements
With this release, significant improvements have been made to BMC ITSM Process Designer. These enhancements are as follows:
- Upgrade time improvements – Manifold improvement in upgrade time when upgrading from 8.3.02 and 8.3.03 versions.
- Ad hoc tasks – The Process Tracker feature of BMC ITSM Process Designer is enhanced to support ad hoc tasks. You can insert ad hoc tasks to a process than an Incident has initiated. You can insert Ad hoc Tasks and Task Templates for an existing process by specifying the entry and exit points. Note that ad hoc tasks are supported only for Incident requests. For additional information on ad hoc tasks, see the following sections:
- Sequential Approvals – Significant improvements are made to stabilize Sequential Approval process. Several workarounds in order to use this feature are now eliminated. Complex approval processes that required multi-level approvals are now simpler to use with the help of sequential approvals in Service Request Management. For more information on sequential approvals, see Adding Multi-level Sequential Approval Actions.
- Security vulnerabilities addressed – With the inclusion of BMC certificate the security vulnerabilities are addressed. This ensures that the Process Designer client launches successfully in a secure environment.
- Create and Manage Request Action – The Create and Manage Request action is similar to the Create New Request action in BMC ITSM Process Designer. Now, the Create and Manage Request allows:
- Creating a new request, and
- Waiting for the created request to fulfil a preconfigured condition before triggering the next task.
For example, in a service request, now a Create and Manage New Request action for incident of a task waits for the incident to be resolved before triggering the next task. For more information on create and manage request action, see Configure access points for the Create And Manage Request action.
- Synchronization of work information – With this enhancement, the child processes of Service Request Management (that have attached Process Designer process) can synchronize the work information.
- ITSM Process Mapping Form UI changes – The Force Restart flag is now enhanced such that it applies only to the selected application and the company. Also, now you can select processes that are only applicable to specified to company and application.
- Enhancements in sub processes handling – The same sub process can now be added to its parent process multiple times. As a result the tasks under that sub process are not orphaned.
- Redundant tasks cancellation – This improvement allows you to close the non-executed tasks with cancelled status. This gives you a holistic view of the process execution.