Performance and scalability of BMC Remedy ITSM Suite 9.0 SP1 and related products on Solaris 11.2
The BMC Performance Team and Oracle Lab collaborated on a benchmark to test the performance of Service Pack 1 for version 9.0.00 of BMC Remedy IT Service Management product suite at an enterprise-level deployment scale: A 10,000 concurrent users workload based on a workload metric and data derived from real-life enterprise customer deployments.
Service Pack 1 for BMC Remedy ITSM version 9.0 as tested consisted of the following product combination: BMC Remedy ITSM Suite, BMC Service Request Management, BMC Knowledge Management, BMC Atrium Configuration Management Database (BMC Atrium CMDB), and BMC Smart Reporting.
This product combination was deployed on multiple virtual machines running Solaris version 11.2 and hosted on a single Oracle T5-8 server with the Oracle 12C Database deployed on a single T5-2 also running on Solaris version 11.2.
The tests were performed at the Oracle Santa Clara Lab between December 2015 and March 2016.
The result was distilled to provide the following:
- Quantifiable metrics (such as average use case response times, CPU/memory usage, throughput) to use as a reference
- A guideline for resource sizing per VM on the Oracle Hardware used in the benchmark
- System configuration recommendations
- Tuning recommendations
There were 2 separate sets of tests:
- The first set was executions of a mixed (online + batch) workload consisted of the ITSM stack (BMC Remedy ITSM Suite, BMC Service Request Management, BMC Knowledge Management, BMC Smart Reporting) online workload of 10,000 concurrent users with BMC Atrium CMDB batch processes running simultaneously
- The second set was executions of a stand alone batch only CMDB workload of 1 million CI's creation designed to establish the Normalization/Reconciliation Engine throughput on the same environment.
The following topics are provided:
- Oracle Lab test environment
- Oracle Lab deployment architecture
- How the tests were conducted
- Workload details
- Mixed workload results
- Performance tuning and recommendations
- Solaris settings
- Foundation data and application data used for tests
- User scenarios and associated actions
- Product versions used in tests
- Details about products used at Oracle Lab
- Details about the Silk Performer product
- Standalone BMC Atrium CMDB results