As an administrator you can deploy templates that define default values for forms so users can more easily create activity, change, incident, and release requests. You need to have appropriate permissions before creating templates.
To create a template, access the Template form in the Custom Configuration tab of the Application Administration Console. Enter its name, summary or description, status and company, and then complete the configuration steps, which can be done at a later time.The template status should be set to Enabled only after all of the configuration steps are completed.
This topic covers the process of creating templates. Configuration topics for each type of template are provided below.
The account you use to create the different types of templates must have the appropriate permissions. Before creating templates, review the table below and if necessary add permissions to your account configuration.
|Change, for any support group|
|Change, for those support groups where you have this role|
|Release templates for your support group|
|Activity templates for your support group|
Setting the template status
When you create a template, its Status field is set to Enabled by default. While a template is in development, you can set its status to Proposed or Offline. When it is ready to deploy, set the status Enabled. Template status is always set by the person modifying the template and not by any system activity. The table below lists all of the available statuses:
|Enabled (default)||The template is enabled and ready for use.|
|Proposed||The template is work-in-progress and has been proposed for a particular type of request.|
|Offline||Template is active but it is not available for use in the application.The template can be enabled at any point to make it available.|
|Obsolete||The selected template is obsolete and is no longer required. This status is informational only - no action is taken when the status is set to Obsolete.|
|Archive||The template is no longer in use and has been archived.|
|Delete||A template with the Delete status remains in the system but it cannot be used in the application.|
Creating an activity, change, or release template
This procedure applies to creating an activity, change, or release template. Procedures for Creating an incident template are provided below.
- Log in with a user account that has appropriate permissions for the type of template you are going to create as shown in Reviewing Permissions.
- Open the Application Administration Console. Select Applications > Administrator Console > Application Administration Console.
- From the Application Administration Console, open the Custom Configuration tab.
- From the Application Settings list, specify the template type that you want to create: Activity System, Change Management, or Release Management. For example, to create a Change template, select Change Management > Template > Template and click Open.
- Set the Status field. For work-in-progress templates, set the status to Proposed or Offlilne. The default setting is Enabled.
- Set the Company field by selecting a company from the pull-down menu.
- Enter the name of the template in the Template Name field and provide a description of the template in the Summary field.
At this point you can configure your template or save it and work on it later. Refer to the appropriate configuration topic for detailed instructions:
- Click Save to save your changes.
Creating an incident template
Follow this procedure to create an incident template.
- In the Application Administration Console, select the Custom Configuration tab and expand the Incident Management branch.
- Select Template > Template.
- Click Create.
- In the Template Name field on the Incident Template form, type a brief descriptive name for the template.
- Set the Status field.
(Best Practice view only) Select or create the appropriate template categorizations for Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3.
For information about the Best Practice view, see .
To create a template categorization, type the category name in the Template Category field. When you save the template, the category name is also saved and added to the field's selection list, where it is available to select when you create the next template.
- Enter or modify the appropriate settings on the template tabs, as described in the Configuring Incident Management templates section.
- Click Save.
Opening a saved template
You can open a saved template with a new search.
- In the Application Administration Console, select the Custom Configuration tab and expand the branch for the type of template - Activity System, Change Management, Incident Management, or Release Management.
- Select Template > Template and click Open.
- When the template window opens, select New Search.
- Specify your search criteria. For example:
- To open a specific template, enter all or part of its name in the Name field.
- To find all templates that match a status, use the pull-down Status field to select the status.
- To find all templates for a company, select it from the Company field.
- Click Search. One or more templates that match your search criteria appear in the search results.
- Open the template by double-clicking in the search results.