Creating product categories (optional)
Before creating or modifying product information, it is important to understand product relationships.
- When you are creating product category information:
- The Product Name or Manufacturer field is optional, but both are required if either is specified.
- One tier can be sufficient, depending on the item being created.
- If you create a product that requires less than three tiers, the other tiers must be set to "- None -."
- Each product category can have more than one product model/version and more than one product alias.
- Products can be associated with one or more companies.
- A product is available for selection on other forms after it has been associated with a company or when a product category is created.
- After you relate a product to a company and an application, it can be used in forms that contain the product categorization fields.
- Each product model/version can have one or more patches.
To add a product category
- From the Application Administration Console, click the Custom Configuration tab.
- From the Application Settings list, choose Foundation > Products/Operational Catalogs > Product Catalog, and then click Open. The Product Catalog Setup form appears as shown in the following figure.
Product Catalog Setup form
The Product Catalog Setup form appears.
- On the Product Category tab, click Create. The Product Category Update form appears.
- Optionally enter or select a Product Type.
- Select the configuration item (CI) type. The CI Type field specifies the type of CI for which you are creating this product catalog.
- Select or enter the Product Categorization Tiers. If you are creating a product that requires only one tier, enter None for the other two tiers.
- Enter or select a product name.
- If you specify a product name, specify a manufacturer. Select a manufacturer, or click New to add a manufacturer. If you click New:
- In the New Manufacturer dialog box, enter a company.
- In the Status field, select Enabled.
- Click Save.
- In the Product Category Update dialog box, select Enabled for the status.
You can set the status to Proposed to temporarily prevent the category from being selected from an application.
- In the Origin field, accept the default value of Custom. Third Party is used for products imported from an external source.
- Select whether this definition is to be available across all applications in the BMC Remedy ITSM Suite.
- Click Save. You can use the search fields in the Product Categorization Search Criteria area at the top of the Product Catalog Setup form to view the added product.
- To define the company and module relationships, complete the steps in the next section, Relating a company or application to an operational category.
- Click Close.