Viewing ARX file layout
This topic describes the contents of an ARX file and how to use Microsoft Excel to view the contents of the ARX file.
Example of a consolidated ARX file
The following figure shows an example of a consolidated ARX file:
Consolidated ARX file example
Each section of the data is provided in the following format:
- CHAR-SET, which is the character set of the data.
- SCHEMA, which is the form where the data will be imported.
- FIELDS, which are database field names.
- FLD-ID, which are field IDs.
- DTYPES, which are data types for each field.
- DATA, which are the data values. Each DATA row represents a record.
Viewing an ARX file in Microsoft Excel
To determine which data corresponds to which field, use Microsoft Excel to view the consolidated ARX file. These instructions are for Excel 2007.
- Open the ARX file in a text editor
- Copy the SCHEMA, FIELDS, FLD-ID, DTYPES, and DATA lines into an Excel spreadsheet.
- Click the Data tab, and select Text to Columns.
- Select Delimited, and click Next.
- Select Space for the delimiter, and ensure that the double quotation mark (") is selected as the Text Qualifier and click Next.
- Click Finish.
The following figure shows the results: