Upgrading BMC Remedy ITSM (with new overlays)
If you customized BMC Remedy IT Service Management, create overlays for your existing customizations before you start the upgrade.
The BMC Remedy ITSM Suite installer enables you to upgrade the following ITSM products in your IT environment.
- BMC Service Desk — includes BMC Incident Management and BMC Problem Management
- BMC Asset Management
- BMC Change Management
- BMC Knowledge Management
The installer guides you step-by-step through the upgrade process. In this topic:
- Running the installer multiple times
- Before you begin
- To upgrade BMC Remedy ITSM
- Related topics
- Where to go from here
When you start the installer, you can choose one or more applications or features to upgrade at one time. Because certain applications depend on a specific set of features, you might need to run the installer multiple times to upgrade all of the applications in the ITSM solution. For example, you can:
- Upgrade BMC Change Management, and then run the installer a second time to upgrade BMC Knowledge Management.
- Add another product that was not present on the base installation.
- Re-run the installer multiple times to install additional language packs.
- Upgrade BMC Remedy ITSM to 8.1 but choose not to remove ITSM-specific attributes from the BMC Atrium Common Data Model (CDM). After you validate the data, you can then run the installer a second time to delete the attributes from the CDM.
During the upgrade, the ITSM-specific attributes are moved from the BMC Atrium Core CMDB to the ITSM Foundation layer. The upgrade proceeds in three different phases:
- Phase 1 – Data for these attributes is copied from the CMDB to ITSM Foundation
- Phase 2 – The BMC Remedy ITSM Suite is upgraded to version 8.1.
- Phase 3 – ITSM attributes are removed from the CMDB.
You can choose whether the upgrade process stops after completing Phase 1 or Phase 2, so than you can review and validate the data and your integrations at each phase. You can run the installer again to continue with the upgrade and complete the remaining phases.
- If ITSM attribute deletion from CMDB (Phase 3) step was not completed during previous upgrade to 8.x version, then the BMC Remedy IT Service Management 8.1.01 installer will execute Phase3.
- Phase 3 execution may take some time depending on the amount of data.
- After completion of Phase 3, BMC Atrium Core's performance will improve.
- Apply the multi-tenancy update after you customized the multi-tenancy model and reconciled the customizations.
During upgrade, the Multi-tenancy Workflow Customization Information panel appears if you:
- Installed versions less than 8.1 of BMC Remedy IT Service Management, BMC Service Request Management, and BMC Service Level Management.
- Installed the 8.1 versions of BMC Remedy IT Service Management and BMC Service Request Management.
- Copied data from the CDM to ITSM Foundation as part of Phase 1
">Before you begin
- Upgrade Atrium Integrator Server before you start the upgrade.
- If you are upgrading BMC Knowledge Management, enable and correctly configure the 8.1 version of Full Text Search on the AR System server.
- Review the planning spreadsheet.
- Perform the upgrade recommendations to optimize performance.
- To reduce installation time significantly, do not upgrade the products over the wide area network (WAN).
- If you are upgrading both BMC Remedy IT Service Management and BMC Service Management, BMC recommends that you upgrade BMC Remedy IT Service Management first so that the foundation components are upgraded only once.
- Download the BMC Remedy ITSM Suite installer from EPD, or navigate to the installation directory on the DVD.
- Unzip the installer.
- Navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
- Start the installer.
- For Windows, run setup.cmd.
- For UNIX, log in as root and run setup.sh.
When installing the application on UNIX, BMC recommends performing the installation as a root user. However, you can perform the installation as a non-root user. If you choose to install the application as a non-root user, you must log on to the UNIX system under the same UNIX user ID that was used to install BMC Remedy AR System.
- In the lower right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- In the BMC Remedy AR System User Inputs panel, perform the following actions:
- Enter the administrator name and password.
- Review the default installation directory.
Navigate to the directory in which you want to install BMC Remedy ITSM Suite. The default locations are C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BMCRemedyITSMSuite (Windows) and /opt/bmc/BMCRemedyITSMSuite (UNIX or Linux).
- Click Next.
- In the Overlay Information panel, perform the following actions:
- Review carefully the warning.
The upgrade overwrites all customizations unless you create them in overlays or custom objects.
- Select the I understand and agree that proceeding from this point will overwrite any customizations that are not in overlays or in custom objects checkbox if you agree.
- Click Next.
The installer validates the system resources of your computer and displays a list of BMC applications (such as BMC Asset Management, BMC Change Management, and so on).
- Review carefully the warning.
- Select one or more applications to install (by default, the entire ITSM suite is selected), and then click Next.
The installer checks the AR System server for valid ITSM licenses and validates other application dependencies (for example, the current version of the BMC Atrium CMDB).
If you upgrade any ITSM component, then the installer upgrades all the ITSM components.
The installer checks the AR System server for valid ITSM licenses. If you met all the conditions, the Multi-Tenancy Workflow Customization Information panel is displayed.
- Review the following multi-tenancy options carefully.
Depending on the conditions, you might see three different sets of questions and corresponding options.
Did you customize the multi-tenancy model for any of the installed applications?
You always see this question the first time that you run the installer.
- Click Yes if you customized the multi-tenancy model. The update is not applied.
- Click No to apply the update, because you did not customize the model.
Did you reconcile the customizations?
You see this question because you previously indicated there were multi-tenancy model customizations.
- Click Yes to apply the update if you reconciled the customizations.
- Click No to defer the multi-tenancy updates to a later time. You must first reconcile your customizations to the multi-tenancy model. You can then re-run the installer to apply the multi-tenancy update. Or you can manually apply the multi-tenancy updates. For more information, see Update to the multi-tenancy model.
Applying the Multi-Tenancy service pack takes a significant amount of time. Do you want to apply it now?
You only see this question if you have hit the threshold of more than 20,000,000 records. If you do not hit the 20,000,000 record threshold, the message does not appear.
- Click Yes to apply the update now.
- Click No to apply the update later.
- Click Next to continue with the installation.
- If the utility encounters any errors, you must fix the underlying problems before you can manually run the multi-tenancy utility later.
- If you do not see any errors, the multi-tenancy update is successful.
For more information, see Update to the multi-tenancy model.
- In the BMC Remedy ITSM CI Attribute Change panel, select one of the follow upgrade options, and then click Next:
Description of upgrade phases
Only copy data from the CDM to ITSM Foundation
Phase 1 – This option only copies data from the CDM to Foundation. After you validate the data, run the installer a second time to complete the upgrade.
Upgrade to 8.1 but do not remove attributes from CDM
Phase 2 – This option upgrades ITSM to 8.1 but retains attributes so that you can test your integrations. After you validate the data, run the installer a second time to remove the attributes from the CDM.
Upgrade to 8.1 and remove attributes from CDM (default)
Phase 3 – This option upgrades ITSM to 8.1 and deletes the attributes. You should select this option unless you need to validate the data and the integrations.
- In the Installation preview panel, review the features that you are installing.
You are nearly finished with the ITSM installation.
- Click Install.
After post-installation cleanup, a summary of the installation appears.
- Click View Log to review the SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues. You can view a log file of the installation:
- Close the log when you finish.
- Click Done to exit the ITSM installer.
- Flush the Mid Tier cache.
- Completing the planning spreadsheet
- Configuring BMC Atrium Service Context for BMC Remedy ITSM applications
- Migrating BMC Knowledge Management permission mappings (during upgrades only)
- Generating a private server queue
- Using the object modification log
- Showing or hiding Crystal Reports
- Defining queues and configuring threads
Where to go from here
Run the multi-tenancy update utility manually because you bypassed the multi-tenancy update during the main installation (because your environment has more than 20 million records). For more information, see Update to the multi-tenancy model.