Enhancements to BMC Service Level Management
- Simplified installation
- BMC Service Level Management customization using overlays
- BMC Real End User Experience Monitoring plug-in
- BMC Atrium Service Context
- IPv6 support
- New features for supporting applications and tools
- Web-enabled dataload tool for Data Management
- Discontinuation of BMC Remedy User client and BMC Remedy Alert
- Related topic
The BMC Service Level Management 8.1 installation has been greatly simplified:
- To reduce manual user inputs, the number of panels in the installer are reduced. Information from the AR System server is intelligently leveraged by the installer to simplify installation.
- Related inputs are consolidated into single panels.
- The Installation Preview panel is easier to read.
Most of the application configuration is now removed from the installer. The following configuration modules were removed from the installer, but their instructions are linked below:
For additional instructions on configuring BMC Service Level Management, go to Configuring after installation.
BMC Service Level Management customization using overlays
For details, see Customizing BMC SLM using overlays.
BMC Real End User Experience Monitoring plug-in
The BMC Real End User Experience Monitoring plug-in collects metrics data from a BMC Real End User Experience Monitoring system. The plug-in uses the BMC Real End User Experience Monitoring REST APIs to discover and collect metrics from BMC Real End User Experience Monitoring Watchpoints.
BMC Real End User Experience Monitoring was formerly called BMC Coradiant TrueSight. As a result, the plug-in that you see when you configure the Collection Node will still be called BMC Coradiant TrueSight.
For more information, see the following sections:
- BMC Real End User Experience Monitoring plug-in
- Configuring BMC Real End User Experience Monitoring
- Installing the SSL Server certificate for BMC Real End User Experience Monitoring
- Configuring the BMC Real End User Experience Monitoring plug-in
BMC Atrium Service Context
Currently, the Service Context display is not accessible from the SLM Console or Dashboards; however, BMC SLM is a provider of data to Service Context.
BMC Atrium Service Context enables you to view critical information about a business service and its performance. Information, such as related incidents, changes, and configuration items (CIs), is displayed in a summarized format that employees across your organization can access. The details that you see on, for example, the incident request, are the same details that are shown in BMC Atrium Service Context in the applications of the BMC IT Service Management Suite. This ensures that everyone in your organization is working with the same information.
Some of the information that you can see includes related CIs, incidents, outage records, and completed changes. Understanding the relationship between a business service and its environment helps you to prioritize your investigations and align your decisions with your service level agreements and the overall goals of the business.
For more information about compatible browsers, see the Compatibility Matrix on the Product Availability and Compatibility page.
The BMC Service Level Management application, Collector, and Collection Point all supports the same operating systems and databases for Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) as BMC Remedy AR System, as described in Support for IPv6 in the BMC Remedy AR System 8.1 online documentation. You can install the BMC Service Level Management application on an AR System server in an IPv6 configured network and make it accessible to clients on IPv4, IPv6, or both IPv4 and IPv6 (dual stack) configured hosts.
To add a new client in the Collector Console and use IPv6 settings, see Configuring administration settings for the Collector.
New features for supporting applications and tools
The ITSM Foundation contains the common forms, workflows, and data needed to support the applications as well as a repository for data structures that are used by the applications. For information on the new features provided by the applications and tools that support the Foundation, see:
- BMC Atrium Core. For more information, see BMC Atrium Core 8.1.00 enhancements.
- BMC Remedy Action Request (AR) System. For more information, see BMC Remedy Action Request System 8.1.00 enhancements.
Web-enabled dataload tool for Data Management
For general information on data management, see the following topics:
For a list of the BMC SLM out-of-the-box templates, see Configuring an Atrium Integrator job for a Load step.
Discontinuation of BMC Remedy User client and BMC Remedy Alert
Starting with the BMC Remedy AR System 8.1 release, the BMC Remedy User and BMC Remedy Alert clients are no longer installed. You can continue to use your BMC Remedy User and BMC Remedy Alert 7.6.04 clients with a BMC Remedy AR System 8.1 server.
For details, see the End of Life statement at http://documents.bmc.com/products/documents/61/94/106194/106194.pdf.