Enhancements to BMC Asset Management
- Simplified installation
- License Type Import Export tool for porting licenses
- Email based approvals
- Updates to the console
The BMC Remedy IT Service Management 8.1 installation has been greatly simplified:
- To reduce manual user inputs, the number of panels in the installer are reduced. Information from the AR System server is intelligently leveraged by the installer to simplify installation.
- Related inputs are consolidated into single panels.
- The following configuration modules were removed from the installer, but their instructions are linked below:
Configuration module removed from installer
BMC Atrium Service Context
Migrating BMC Knowledge Management permission mappings (during upgrades only)
Private port queues
Object modification logging
Showing or hiding Crystal Reports – the web-only reports are intsalled by default.
The installer automatically sets the Fast and List threads to 12 maximum and 8 minimum.
For additional instructions on configuring BMC Remedy IT Service Management, go to Configuring after installation.
License Type Import Export tool for porting licenses
Version 8.1.00 introduces a new license type export and import tool that allows users to export license types and import them to other BMC Asset Management systems. The tool also maintains an export and import log.
For more information on importing and exporting license types, see Porting license types.
Email based approvalsUsers can now approve requests via email. When a request requires an approval, an email is sent to approvers of that request. If email-based approvals are enabled, users can approve or reject the request from within the email. However, if the approval process configuration defines that the approval requires a password or that rejection requires a business justification, users must approve the request from Approval Central.
For more information about email-based approvals, see Approving or rejecting requests via email.
Updates to the console
The BMC Remedy IT Service Management 8.1 includes a number of console changes that simplify navigation:
- The Consoles menu is no longer available on the Asset Management console. As of version 8.1.00, the BMC Remedy ITSM application consoles can be accessed only from the Applications flyout menu.
- The Advanced Functions menu is no longer available on the Asset Management form. As of version 8.1.00, options that were listed under Advanced Functions are now available in the Functions menu.
- You can select additional columns to add to the asset table on the Asset Management Console by clicking Preferences > Add Columns.