Duplicating the production server database for upgrades without overlays
This section describes how to copy the current production server database schema and data to the new staging server.
Work with your database administrator responsible for the production environment to create a full backup of the current production BMC Remedy AR System database.
Note the date and time of the backup for future reference. You will use this information in the delta data migration step to determine which data needs to be migrated to the staging server at the end of the upgrade process.
- On the staging server, shut down AR System server.
- Work with the database administrator responsible for the production environment to restore the database onto the staging server database.
- If you are running SQL Server, run the following command in your database: Substitute ARAdmin with the appropriate BMC Remedy AR Database Administrator Account.
- Change the AR System server name to match the new host. For details, see Changing a server name when using a duplicated or migrated environment.
- If you are using the duplicated staging server method, restart the BMC Remedy AR System server and verify that the system is functional.
- If you are using the duplicated staging server method, work with the database administrator responsible for the production environment to back up the staging server database.
- Run the AR System database consistency checker, and run the health check in the BMC Atrium Core maintenance tool (see below) to verify that your system is running correctly before the upgrade.
The CMDB health check was introduced in version 7.5. If your staging server runs an earlier version, you can skip this step.
- Launch the BMC Atrium Core Maintenance Tool:
- On Microsoft Windows, go to the <AtriumCoreInstallDir>\atriumcore folder, and double-click the AtriumCoreMaintenanceTool.cmd file.
- On UNIX, go to the <AtriumCoreInstallDir>/atriumcore/ directory, and launch the AtriumCoreMaintenanceTool.sh file.
- Click the Health Check tab, and follow the instructions there.
Running the database consistency checker in the BMC Remedy AR System documentation
Where to go from here
After you set up your staging server, review Stage 2 - Upgrade AR System server without overlays present, including the subsections.