Configuring classification settings for change templates
You can specify values in a change template's Classification tab to add information to the corresponding Classification tab in the Change form.
The Classification tab is used to describe the change and show which products or services are affected by the change. The Change Type, Class, Impact, and Urgency values are required before a change can be submitted.
The Change Type field is not available in the Best Practice view. When a change is created in the Best Practice view using a change template, internally the change type is set to Change.
Change Template form
To configure classification settings
- From the Application Administration Console, click the Custom Configuration tab.
- From the Application Settings list, choose Change Management > Template > Template, and then click Open.
The Change Template form appears.
- In the Template Name field, enter a name for the template.
- In the Status field, select an appropriate status level for this template.
- In the Template Category Tier 1, select a tier 1 category for the template.
- Click the Classification tab.
- In the Change Type field, select an area for the change request (for example, Release).
- In the Class field, select the timing impact of the change request.
Class specifies the relative urgency of the change, so that the approvers can assess its magnitude:
- Emergency resolves an incident or problem deemed critical to the business continuity where a work-around is not sufficient.
- Expedited indicates enterprise-wide impact with an associated risk.
- Latent indicates a change that has already been performed (for example, if a task implementer is assigned to replace the hard drive on a PC and then decides to upgrade the memory while the box is open) and requires approval after the fact. Latent timing automatically sets the request status to Completed after you save the change request.
- Normal indicates changes that must follow the complete change management process. The default value is Normal.
- No Impact indicates a change that has no impact on the infrastructure and requires no approval.
- In the Impact field, select an impact level for the change request (for example, 1-Extensive/Widespread).
- In the Urgency field, select a level of urgency for the change request (for example, 1-Critical).
- In the Priority field, select a priority according to the urgency of the change request (for example, Medium).
- In the Risk Level field, select a value.
Risk Level 5 is the highest risk and Risk Level 1 is the lowest.
In the Lead Time field, enter the number of hours to add to the submit time for the change request.
The lead time is used to calculate the earliest start date and time for the change request.
The Lead Time field is not available in the Best Practice view. When a change is created in the Best Practice view using a change template, the Lead Time is set to 0 and calculations are based on this change.
- In the Summary field, enter a brief description of the change request.
This information will be entered into the Summary field on the Change form.
In the Servicefield, select a business service CI.
After you select a business service CI, the product categorization from the business service CI is copied over to the Product Categorization Selection fields of the change template (under the Categorization tab). You can overwrite this data. In addition, after you save the change template, an association is created between the business service CI and the change template. You can change or delete the business service CI, and you can manually remove the association from the Relationships table.
- In the Change Environment field, select what setting your change request takes place in (for example, Production).
- In the Change Reason field, select the reason why the change is happening (for example, Upgrade).
- In the Notes field, enter a detailed description of the change request.
- In the Company field, select the name of the company for this change request.
- In the Region field, select the area of the company.
- In the Site field, select the city of the company.
- In the Site field, select the location of the company for this change request.
- Click Save.