Collecting diagnostics in a zip file
Use the Log Zipper to collect diagnostics in a zip file to submit to BMC Support. The Log Zipper creates a collection of log files and file characteristics that BMC Support uses to help you debug your system.
You can run the Log Zipper either from the BMC Helix ITSM Maintenance tool or from a command line prompt.
To set the maximum size limit for the zip file
You can set the maximum size limit for the zip file by using the Max Zip Size (in MB) field of the BMC Helix ITSM Maintenance Tool. This action creates multiple zip files and makes it easier to send the zip files to BMC Support.
When you specify the maximum zip size (in megabytes), each zip file is created with the specified size and is serially numbered as 1, 2, 3, and so on.
For example, when you set the Max Zip Size (in MB) to 10 MB, each zip file is created (maximum size 10 MB) and is numbered as BMCRemedyITSMSuiteLogs.z01, BMCRemedyITSMSuiteLogs.z02, and so on.
- By default, the Max Zip Size (in MB) field is populated with 1024 MB. You can change this value.
- If you enter zero in the Max Zip Size (in MB) field, a single zip file is created instead of multiple zip files.
- Do not use decimal values when you enter the maximum size.
To run the Log Zipper from the BMC Helix ITSM Maintenance tool
- Open the BMC Helix ITSM Maintenance tool and click the Logs tab.
- Click Zip Logs.
Send the BMCRemedyITSMSuiteLogs.zip output file from the temp (tmp) directory to BMC Support.
To unzip the BMCRemedyITSMSuiteLogs.zip file, use a utility such as WinZip to extract the files, or you might get an error.
To run the Log Zipper from a command-line prompt
- In a command-line window, change to the <installationDirectory>\BMCRemedyITSMSuite\Utilities folder (where the Maintenance tool is located).
- Enter one of the following commands:
- (Microsoft Windows)—
BMCRemedyITSMSuiteMaintenanceTool.cmd -silent -logs -zip_logs"-output_file=%TEMP%\<product>.zip" –max_zip_size=1000
./BMCRemedyITSMSuiteMaintenanceTool.sh -silent -logs -zip_logs-output_file=/var/tmp/<product>.zip* –max_zip_size=1000
- (Microsoft Windows)—
- Send the BMCRemedyITSMSuiteLogs.zip output file from the temp (tmp) directory to BMC Support.
If you do not specify the -max_zip_size parameter in the command, the system uses the default value (1024 MB). If you do not want to create multiple zips, enter 0 as the –max_zip_size parameter value.