Configuring BMC Helix ITSM applications
Use the BMC Helix ITSM of applications to manage your IT Service Management functions. Before using BMC Helix ITSM applications, you must add the information about various people, groups, skills, responsibilities, and geographic locations associated with your organization to the applications.
Before you begin
To add information to the BMC Helix ITSM applications, you must have the following prerequisites:
- Basic knowledge of AR System administration tasks.
- You must configure Companies, Site information, and Product categorization information in BMC Helix CMDB, which is required before you can add people. For more information, see .
Getting started with configuring applications
Perform the following high-level steps to configure BMC Helix ITSM:
- Ensure that you have completed the prerequisites.
Activate your application licenses.
- Set up an application administrator ID from the default to ensure the security of your BMC Helix ITSM.
- Familiarize yourself with how to use the Application Administration Console, and perform Standard Bonfiguration tasks.
- Configure BMC Helix ITSM by using the Custom Configuration options available in BMC Helix ITSM.
To begin a Standard Configuration
The Standard Configuration tab on the Administration Console walks you through the steps required to set up a standard configuration. Even if you plan to customize your configuration, you first perform a standard configuration.
We recommend that you add information about your IT organization to your BMC Helix ITSM applications in a specific order. The order is especially crucial when you create relationships among different types of information.
- From the Applications menu on the IT Home Page, select Administrator Console > Application Administrator Console.
- On the Standard Configuration tab, the Configuration for Company field appears with the company currently selected for configuration and check marks appear next to each configuration step completed for that company.
The next step to perform is described at the bottom of the tab.
- Select a company to configure:
- To configure a new company, click the link Click here to create and configure a new company link.
- To configure an existing company, select the appropriate company in the Configuration for Company field.
To create company components, click Next Step.
Alternatively, click Create next to the appropriate step.
Complete the steps in the order that they are listed on the tab.
- To view and modify items, click View next to the appropriate item type.
- If you make changes, click Save.
To begin a Custom Configuration
After you have configured your system for standard operation, you can continue to customize your configuration. Use the Standard Configuration tab to perform as much of the configuration as you can. Then, use the Custom Configuration tab described in this section to complete configuration tasks you cannot complete within the Standard Configuration tab, such as providing configuration information for the BMC Helix ITSM applications. The Custom Configuration tab on the Application Administration Console provides access to all of the forms that you can use to configure BMC Helix ITSM.
- Open the Application Administration Console > Custom Configuration tab.
- Expand an option in the Application Settings list to view the available options.
- To open configuration forms, perform either of the following tasks:
- Double-click an option in the list.
- Select an option in the list and click Open.
- To perform a custom configuration, follow the tasks in the order that they are presented in the following table:
Depending on the applications that you have installed, all steps might not be applicable or required.
Information to configure
Verify Standard Configuration
Configure BMC Helix ITSM: Asset Management
Configure BMC Helix ITSM: Change Management Approval Server
Configure Foundation options
Incident Management feature of BMC Helix ITSM: Service Desk
Problem Management feature of BMC Helix ITSM: Service Desk
in Service Desk documentation
Release Management module
Configure activities and rules
Requester Console module
Tasks Management System:
Applications that integrate with BMC Configuration Automation for Server, Client, and Network
|See the documentation for that module on docs.bmc.com.|