Viewing the Log Zipper output file
Using the BMC Remedy ITSM Maintenance tool, you can view files from the Log Zipper output file (BMCRemedyITSMSuiteLogs.zip). When you click Browse to Log in the BMC Remedy ITSM Maintenance tool, a window displays a file navigation tree. The BMCRemedyITSMSuiteLogs.zip file usually contains a folder with three subfolders with the same names as in the originating system. For example, you might see:
- Documents and Settings
- Program Files
From these folders, you might want to view files such as:
- ProductRegistry.xml — Contains the BMC Software products, versions, and features installed on the system. Identifying the products and versions involved is an initial step for investigating issues.
- OperatingSystemData.xml — Contains information about the system that is relevant to the BMC Software products. Examining this file can direct your attention to system issues, such as insufficient resources or incompatible versions.
InstalledConfiguration.xml— Contains important environment information from the last successful installation. (A separate installing configuration XML file captures environment and user selections during a current installation attempt.)
You can use an archive utility to unarchive the files into a temporary directory to view the files collected, but the Windows uncompress utility often gives misleading results, indicating the file is empty or is an invalid zip file.
To open the Log Zipper output file
- Open the BMC Remedy ITSM Maintenance tool.
- On the Logs tab, click Browse to Log.
A new window displays a navigation tree.
- In the navigation tree, navigate to the directory with the Log Zipper output file (usually called BMCRemedyITSMSuiteLogs.zip).
- Double-click the file that you want to view to open it in the appropriate viewer.