Synchronization of common content across multiple tenants
In a multi-tenant environment, after initial onboarding, a Remedy Smart Reporting administrator can import the out-of-the-box content, and any custom public reports and dashboards into the client organizations or tenants by using either of the following options:
- The Import Content link on the Remedy Smart Reporting Admin Console. For more information, see Importing out-of-the-box content in BMC Remedy Smart Reporting.
- Automatically by using the RSR:ContentSync escalation
If you create a new view in the shared organization, but do not create a report by using that view, then that view is not synchronized by the RSR:ContentSync escalation with the tenants.
This topic describes the process of sharing common content through the
Common content synchronization overview
As a Remedy Smart Reporting administrator, you can share any common content with multiple tenants at the same time through the
RSR:ContentSync escalation. This removes the administrative overhead of sharing the common content with each tenant individually, because now the content is shared automatically across multiple tenants at the same time.
Since, by default, the content synchronization option is disabled for all tenants, as a Remedy AR System administrator, you can configure the settings so that a tenant can receive this common content which is synchronized at scheduled intervals. You can enable this option by using the Smart Reporting Client Sync Mapping form from Remedy AR System. For more information, see .
By default, the
RSR:ContentSync escalation runs every 8 hours and synchronizes the common content with the tenants. The AR System administrator can change the frequency of this escalation. Changing the frequency to a duration shorter than 8 hours results in synchronizing the content that is not yet finalized. Therefore, the default frequency is set to 8 hours to allow sufficient time for the content to be finalized before it gets synchronized to client organizations.
For better performance, BMC recommends that you run the
RSR:ContentSync escalation in non-peak hours. Additionally, BMC also recommends that you synchronize the common content across multiple tenants in batches. For example, if there are ten tenants for content synchronization, then run the process for five tenants first, and then for the remaining five tenants.
For more information, see Changing the frequency of an escalation in Remedy AR System.
How common content is synchronized
The following diagram explains the synchronization process of common content across multiple tenants:
- When you make any changes to any content in the shared organization, the
RSR:ContentSyncescalation overwrites all the out-of-the-box content when it executes at the next scheduled interval. This results in loss of any customization made to the out-of-the-box content by any of the tenant who has opted for common content synchronization.
- If a tenant wants to stop receiving the common content at scheduled intervals, then an administrator must disable the common content synchronization for that tenant in AR System. In this case, the content that was already shared with the tenant will not be reverted.
RSR:ContentSync escalation to synchronize the common content across multiple tenants successfully, a Remedy Smart Reporting administrator must ensure the following:
- For fresh installation, a shared organization (<ManagedServiceProviderName>_sharedOrg) is created in Remedy Smart Reporting after the first tenant is onboarded.
- For upgrade, a shared organization (<ManagedServiceProviderName>_sharedOrg) is created in Remedy Smart Reporting if the base version has multi-tenant onboarding.
The Reporting Shared Org group in Remedy AR System and the shared organization in Remedy Smart Reporting has at least one admin user. For example, Calbro is the managing company that has onboarded two tenants, A and B, and both want to receive the common content. An AR System administrator must add at least one admin user from either or both of these tenants to the Reporting Shared Org group, which in turn will be synchronized to the shared organization.
The Remedy AR System administrator must add at least one tenant administrator to the Reporting Shared Org group. This administrator can belong to any of the onboarded tenants.