Organisation Reference Codes
Numeric and text based data displayed in a report can be translated from values held in the database to more meaningful values by adding a reference code to a dimension. This data can also be sorted as per your requirement. For example, the sorting of ENUM fields in BMC Remedy AR System is based on a logical sequence. In the database, these values are stored in an alphanumeric sort order. BMC Remedy Smart Reporting displays these values in the order they are stored in the database. You can use organization codes to sort the ENUM field values as they are in BMC Remedy AR System.
Use organization reference codes if:
- You wish to translate a value held in the data source into business terminology. For example if male and female are stored as M and F you may want to translate these into ‘Male’ and ‘Female’
If you wish to apply customized sorting to a field. By default, data returned in a query is usually displayed in alphanumeric sort order.
For example: If your result set included the different incident statuses, the list will look like this:
Assigned Cancelled Closed In Progress New Pending Resolved
As per the incident management lifecycle, the data may actually need to be displayed in the following order:
New Assigned In Progress Pending Resolved Closed Cancelled
This can be achieved by creating reference codes for the values and assigning a sort order to those codes.
Sorting order is applied only to the current locale in use. If you are using BMC Remedy Smart Reporting in multiple locales, you must define the sort order for each locale that you use.
Click the following video to view the process for creating a reference code.
Creating reference code
The following procedure describes the process of creating a reference code for the Incident Management statuses, so that they can appear in the order of the incident management lifecycle.
- When logged on as the Reporting administrator, on the BMC Remedy Smart Reporting console, choose Administration > Admin Console.
- From the list select, Views > AR System > Incident Management.
- On the top left corner, click 2 to navigate to Step 2. View Fields.
- From the list of Available Fields, under Incident Details, open Status.
- In the Format tab, select Org Ref Code under Format. The other option is to choose to display the text which is stored in the database. Selecting to display the org reference code the user is able to create a new type or use an existing type.
In this case we will create to new reference code that lists and sorts all existing incident statues.
- Select Create New Type under Reference Types.
- Select Yes from the Pre-populate from Database option, and click the blue arrow in front of the field value.
- On the Reference Codes dialog box, a list of the incident statuses is displayed since you selected to view values pre-populated from the database.
- Based on the order of the status, click the status name and enter a sort order for each status. In this window you can also edit an existing reference code or delete an existing reference code.You will have to give the reference code you are defining a name. This is so that the set of translations can be re-used across multiple views.
- Click Save.
Editing a reference code
When editing a reference code you can change the values and the sort order of the codes stored in your database. Click on the code hyperlink to open the edit section in the lower section of the popup to change the name and sort order.