How multicompany user onboarding works
When Remedy IT Service Management (Remedy ITSM) is implemented with multiple companies in a shared Remedy Action Request System (Remedy AR System) environment, the managing organization runs the multicompany user onboarding process and the content import processes for each company defined in Remedy ITSM.
The user onboarding process performs the following functions:
- Creates a single data source for one Remedy Smart Reporting instance.
- For multi-company onboarding, in addition to a default client organization, the onboarding process creates a Remedy Smart Reporting Client Organization for each company that is onboarded. For more information, see Client organizations.
- Onboards Remedy AR System users to Remedy Smart Reporting for all the companies in your environment and adds these users to their respective client organizations.
- Creates a shared organization (<ManagedServiceProviderName>_sharedOrg) after the first client is onboarded in a multi-company onboarding, populates the data source, and gives access to the users in Reporting Shared Org group to the shared organization. For more information, Shared organizations.
- Users with login names starting with special characters or containing the ! and # characters in their names, are not onboarded in Smart Reporting.
- Users with duplicate email address in AR System are not onboarded in Remedy Smart Reporting.
- (For Oracle only) If you have two users in AR System with the same name, one with lower case and one with upper case (for example, allen and Allen), only the user that you have created first in AR System will be onboarded in Smart Reporting.
By default, users are assigned to the company that is defined in the Company field under the Organization section of the People form.
Action required to enable reporting management
Company A, the managing organization, manages the companies
Support Engineer Harish manages BMC Software and Calbro Services. The Company field on Harish's People form record is set to BMC Software.
Support Engineer Girish manages Invention, Inc. The Company field on Girish's People form is set to Invention, Inc.
The Smart Reporting super admin, usually siadmin, must add Harish to the shared organization so that he can manage reporting for Calbro Services and BMC Software.
Girish is already in the appropriate client organization. The siadmin only needs to provide Girish the appropriate read and write access to Reports and Dashboards.
Supported company types in BMC Remedy ITSM mutlicompany onboarding
The BMC Remedy ITSM multicompany onboarding process supports only the following company types:
- Operating Company
- Service Provider
User access after onboarding users by using the ITSM multi-company module
Data access defined for the users in Remedy AR System is also applicable for Remedy Smart Reporting data. Users can access reports and dashboards for their company and other companies to which they have access in Remedy AR System, even if they are a part of a single Remedy Smart Reporting client organization.
For example, Bob belongs to the company BMC Software and during onboarding is added to the BMC Software client organization. However, Bob has access to Calbro Services data in BMC Remedy AR System. So, even though he is not a part of the Calbro Services client organization, he still has access to the Calbro Services' BMC Remedy Smart Reporting data.
The Organization information: Company, Organization, and Department, on a user’s People form helps manage this segregation of users and their associated company. Users without a company defined in their People record (created in the BMC Remedy AR System User form) are added as a part of the default Remedy Smart Reporting client organization and can access all reports and dashboards available to the default client organization. However, data restrictions defined in the Remedy AR System Server are applied.
When the administrator of the managing organization creates new reports to be shared with all companies, the administrator must export and then import the reports to the client organizations of the companies. Alternatively, an administrator can create the common content in the SharedOrg that will be shared with all tenants at scheduled intervals at same time. For more information, see Synchronization of common content across multiple tenants.
If a view or report is modified for one company, the changes are not reflected in the reports or views of another company.
Data security for multitenancy
When using BMC Remedy Smart Reporting, data security defined in BMC Remedy Action Request System (BMC Remedy AR System) is applied for all reporting users. The reporting users can view only the data they have access to in BMC Remedy AR System.
When BMC Remedy IT Service Management (BMC Remedy ITSM) is implemented in a multicompany environment (set up with multiple companies in a shared BMC Remedy AR System environment), data security settings are the same as defined for the BMC Remedy AR System server. The onboarding option restricts access to only the reports and dashboards of the company to which a user belongs. Reporting users can view only the listing of reports and dashboards for their own company. Additionally, when using collaboration options such as comments, annotations, discussions, and notifications, other users who belong to the same company are displayed.
A client organization provides a way to create content isolation within different organizations or tenants. Additionally, the shared organization allows you to share common content across multiple tenants.