Creating operational categories
Operational categories list all the operational services that a typical help desk provides, such as adding a user account and changing a server password.
Operational categories can also contain items that represent symptoms of incidents or problems, such as application failure and network failure. You can create operational categories of services for use in various BMC Remedy ITSM forms.
Each operational category must be unique. You might find it helpful to view existing categories before creating new categories. For more information about viewing categories, see Viewing and modifying standard configuration data.
To create operational categories
- On the Standard Configuration tab of the Application Administration Console, select the correct company.
- Click the Create link next to Operational Category. The Operational Catalog dialog box appears.
- Select or enter the operational categorization tiers. After you create an operational category with a particular tier 1 and tier 2, you can select those tiers when creating additional operational categories. For example, if you create an operational category for Add > User > Account, you might first enter all three categories, but when you create an operational category for Add > User > Web Page, you can select both Add and User.
Select Enabled for the status.
You can set the status to Proposed to temporarily prevent the category from being selected from an application.
- Select whether the category is available for the company that you are configuring, or whether it is available for all companies.
- Click Add. When you save the operational category, it is automatically related to the Global company. This makes the operational category available on other forms, such as the Incident form, for all operating and customer companies. The product category is also available to all BMC Remedy ITSM applications.
- To add more operational categories, repeat steps 3 through 6.
- When you are finished adding operational categories, click Close.