Coordinating the update of product categorization with BMC discovery products
You can coordinate updates to product categorization with BMC discovery products. As an administrator, you can perform this procedure if you have upgraded from BMC Topology Discovery version 1.4 to version 1.5 and want to change from default categorization to best practice categorization. You can modify this procedure for other updates to product categorization or for BMC Foundation Discovery or BMC Configuration Discovery.
To coordinate the update of product categorization with BMC discovery products
- Stop the discovery server.
- Modify the categorization XML file.
If you are changing from default categorization to best practice categorization on BMC Topology Discovery, perform the following steps.
- Browse to TDHome\public_html\visualis\filter\normalization\default, where TDHome is the location where the BMC Topology Discovery server is installed.
- Rename defaultcategorizationrules.xml to defaultcategorizationrules.xml.old.
- Rename bestpraticescategorizationrules.xml to defaultcategorizationrules.xml.
- Use the data wizard to update the product categorization in the product catalog, in CIs stored in BMC Atrium CMDB, and in BMC Remedy ITSM records, as described in Updating target values using the data wizard.
- Restart the discovery server.