Updating cross launch settings
Cross launch is enabling navigation from one application to another and navigating back to the source application. For BMC Remedy Smart Reporting, cross launch is done through BMC Remedy Mid Tier and BMC Remedy with Smart IT (Smart IT). With cross launch functionality, when you click a ticket number hyperlink in a report in BMC Remedy Smart Reporting, the ticket opens in other BMC applications.
- If you navigate to BMC Remedy Smart Reporting from Smart IT, the ticket opens in Smart IT.
- If you navigate to BMC Remedy Smart Reporting from BMC Remedy Mid Tier, the ticket opens in BMC Remedy Mid Tier.
The BMC Remedy AR System custom parameter is available by default when you onboard BMC Remedy Smart Reporting. You must update the settings for BMC Remedy Mid Tier and Smart IT.
This topic provides the following information:
Updating BMC Remedy Mid Tier and Smart IT cross launch settings
- By default, BMC Remedy Smart Reporting provides the functionality to cross launch to BMC Remedy Mid Tier. You must update the custom parameter for BMC Remedy Mid Tier.
- To override the default cross launch behavior and to cross launch to Smart IT, you must update the custom parameter for Smart IT and perform the additional manual steps to update the hyperlink objects.
Log on to the BMC Remedy Mid Tier as a BMC Remedy AR System user defined as the Reporting Administrator.
- Choose Smart Reporting > Smart Reporting Console from the Applications menu.
- On the BMC Remedy Smart Reporting console, choose Administration > Configuration.
- Choose System > Custom Parameters.
Update the following parameters:
Key Value AR
Hostname of the BMC Remedy AR Sever
MIDTIER For a stand-alone installation of Smart Reporting: <Hostname>:<Port number>
For a cluster installation of Smart Reporting: Name of the Load Balancer
PROTOCOL https or http, based on your configuration SMART_IT <Smart IT Server Name>:<Port number>, for example, SMART_IT_SERVER:8082
- Click Save.
Configuring additional settings for BMC Remedy Smart Reporting Cross launch when installed in a cluster
If you have installed BMC Remedy Smart Reporting in a cluster, you must perform the following configuration post-installation. This settings is necessary for the cross launch from BMC Remedy Smart Reporting to BMC Remedy Mid-Tier when you click a link in a report and for the report Sharing option.
Specifically when you click a record in a report, it should open the record in the mid-tier.
- Log on to BMC Remedy Smart Reporting as the reporting super admin "siadmin".
- Choose Administration > Configuration > System > General Settings.
- Update External Instance Base URL with the URL of the name of the load balancer.
For example, change
For updating the External Instance Base URL, go to the default org because this configuration is available only under default org.
- Save your settings.
Manually updating the hyperlink objects to cross launch Smart IT
You can customize the default cross launch behavior to launch Smart IT. To cross launch to Smart IT, you must update the custom parameter, and perform additional manual steps to update the hyperlink objects. The method in this section describes the steps by using BMC Incident Management as an example. By following a similar procedure, you can cross launch to other applications such as BMC Change Management, BMC Knowledge Management, and Work Order Management.
After executing the below steps, all the updated reports open in Smart IT and not in BMC Remedy Mid Tier. Executing the below steps is advisable if you are using only Smart IT and not using BMC Remedy Mid Tier.
BMC Remedy Smart Reporting is integrated with Smart IT version 1.2 or later. If your Smart IT session is active and you cross launch from BMC Remedy Smart Reporting to Smart IT, you need not provide Smart IT credentials. The ticket opens directly in Smart IT. However, if your Smart IT session is inactive, you must provide credentials and the ticket opens after authentication.
- Log on to BMC Remedy Smart Reporting as an admin user.
- Click Browse > Reports.
From the list of available reports, double click Incident Details report.
For additional steps, see defect SW00559872.
- On the right pane, from the available columns, click the expand
In the Column Formatting window:
In the Format field, click HTML Formatter.
Disable the Remove HTML tags field.
- After executing the above steps, you must remove and add the Incident Number Hyperlink field for the tickets to open in Smart IT by performing the following steps:
- Click the expand icon next to the Incident Number Hyperlink field.
- Remove the Incident Number Hyperlink field by dragging it to the Filters list.
- Click the Incident Details folder and drag the Incident Number Hyperlink field to the report columns.
- Click Close.