Optimizing BMC Remedy Smart Reporting performance
BMC Remedy Smart Reporting provides various options to optimize performance of the BMC Remedy Smart Reporting application.
Planned deployment based on your infrastructure
Multiple deployment options are available for BMC Remedy Smart Reporting. Depending on your set up choose your deployment option of BMC Remedy Smart Reporting. For more information about the available deployment options, see Reporting Deployment options
Setting data restrictions at multiple levels
Depending on your requirements you can configure multiple options to manage the performance of BMC Remedy Smart Reporting and BMC Remedy AR System server.
Restricting data to display and governing reporting requests ensures that there are no performance issues for other components of the BMC Remedy AR System when using BMC Remedy Smart Reporting.
The data restrictions are applied in the following order:
- BMC Remedy AR System restrictions
- BMC Remedy Smart Reporting data source restrictions
- BMC Remedy Smart Reporting view level restrictions
- BMC Remedy Smart Reporting report level restrictions
- BMC Remedy Smart Reporting data source connection restrictions
Configuring data source connection restrictions on BMC Remedy Smart Reporting
The Data Source connection management section provides the pool mechanism for optimizing the connections to the data source. Connection settings define the number of concurrent connections allowed for accessing reports.
To optimize data source connections:
Add values for Min Connections and Max Connections fields. These values determine the number of connections to use from within a connection pool.
Consider the following example:
When you set the maximum connections to 5, only 5 connections will be allowed. When a user accesses a report, a connection is used. However, if a user accesses a Dashboard that lists three reports, three connections are used. Set the value of Max Connections to restrict the number of connections to be used by BMC Remedy Smart Reporting. Once the maximum number of connections is reached, other users will not be able to access the source until these reports have completed processing.
Increasing the value of Max Connections will not affect BMC Remedy Smart performance unless there is a large number of users accessing a large number of reports.
- Enter a Refresh Time is hours. This is the time after which database connections are refreshed.
The refresh recycles the connections after the set period. This is done to ensure that no connections are stale or left open even though the user is no longer using them.
- Enter a Timeout value in seconds. The timeout is the time that is allowed for the SQL statement to return results. The value defined should be able to accommodate the queries run against this source. If queries against this source are likely to be large this field should be set to accommodate them.
Configuring restrictions for specific reporting modules on BMC Remedy Smart Reporting
You can configure data restrictions for specific reporting modules by restricting the data to be displayed, or by restricting the query results.
Configuring restrictions for BMC Remedy Smart Reporting query results
On the BMC Remedy Smart Reporting data source, you can restrict the query results by setting the MaxRowsReturned parameter in the Data Source settings.
Configuring view level restrictions for data to be displayed
Define view level data restrictions for specific modules that are expected to return large number of records. For example, your Change reports are not expected to return a large number of records, but Incident reports are expected to return a large number of records. You can define view level settings for the Incident Management view.
To set the data limit:
- Log on to the BMC Remedy Smart Reporting view.
- Open the view in Edit mode.
- On the View Options panel, under the Performance section, modify the View Row Limit parameter.
This parameter allows you to set the limit for rows returned from the database.
Configuring restrictions for BMC Remedy AR System server data
BMC Remedy AR System server level configurations are available to manage the data load for BMC Remedy Smart Reporting queries on the BMC Remedy AR System server. You have a couple of options to manage the data load at the BMC Remedy AR System server.
Configuring BMC Remedy AR System for setting restrictions on BMC Remedy Smart Reporting data
BMC Remedy Smart Reporting displays the data received from the BMC Remedy AR System database, allowing us to use the BMC Remedy AR System configuration option to limit the number of rows returned from the database.
To define data restrictions in BMC Remedy AR System server:
- Log on to BMC Remedy IT Service Management.
- Choose Applications> AR System Administration> AR System Administration Console.
- Choose System > General > Server Information.
- On the Configuration tab of the Server Information page, modify the value of the Max entries returned by GetList field.
This field sets a row limit for any query sent using the JDBC driver.
The BMC Remedy AR System Server row limit settings can be overwritten by setting a parameter in the JDBC Connection string. Add a rowLimit parameter in the BMC Remedy AR System Datasource which will override the system settings and return the specified number of result set.
Configuring the data connection limit on BMC Remedy Smart Reporting
Configure the BMC Remedy Smart Reporting Connection settings to define restrictions on the data connection to the BMC Remedy AR System server. The Custom Parameters for the BMC Remedy Smart Reporting data connection settings allows you to control the data returned from the BMC Remedy AR System server depending on expected volume of data being retrieved for BMC Remedy Smart Reporting.
To update the data connection settings:
- Log on to the BMC Remedy Mid-Tier as the Reporting Administrator, and launch to mid-tier with Report Admin and launch BMC Remedy Smart Reporting console.
- Choose Administration > Admin console > Data sources.
- Open the AR System Data source.
- In the Connection section, update the row limit in the Custom Parameters.
For example, mode=new;refreshCache=60;rowLimit=10000
- Click Test Connection.
- Save your settings.