BMC strongly recommends that you read and understand all of the topics under the Data Management section before you start to use the Data Management utility.
A good place to start is with the Overview of the data load process topic.
This section provides information about how to use the Data Management component.
The Data Management section contains the following sections:
- Getting started with Data Management
- Populating the dataload spreadsheets
- Spreadsheet usage tips
- Working with dataload jobs
- Using the data wizard to modify data
- Managing customizations
- Running the Configuration Check Utility for UDM
- Simplified Transactional CI spreadsheet
This page contains the following information:
- .Data Management v18.08#Introduction to the Data Management component , which includes the following video presentations:
- .Data Management v18.08#How to use the Data Management console
- .Data Management v18.08#Job-based framework terminology
- .Data Management v18.08#Related topics
Introduction to the Data Management component
The Data Management component is a web-enabled tool to use when loading data from earlier versions of BMC Remedy, or from legacy systems, into the current release of BMC Remedy ITSM Suite.
You can also use the Data Management component to update the following levels of data:
- process setup
For more information about these levels of data, see Levels of BMC Remedy ITSM Suite data.
For an introduction to Data Management concepts, be sure to view the following video presentation.
The dataload tool provides a job-based framework that supports job-based data loads. You can use the tool to import data for:
- Foundation (which contains the common forms and data that are needed to support the BMC Remedy ITSM Suite of applications)
- BMC Change Management (and Release Management)
- BMC Asset Management (and Software License Management)
- BMC Service Desk
- BMC Knowledge Management
You can also use the dataload tool to import data for BMC Service Request Management. Be aware, however, that the tool uses a different method to import data into the BMC Service Request Management application than it does for BMC Remedy ITSM. For more information about importing data into BMC Remedy Service Management, see in the BMC Service Request Management documentation space.
The job-based framework provides support for:
- Automated job scheduling
- Multiple users performing multiple simultaneous dataloads
- Multi-tenancy, which means users can create dataload jobs and templates that can be restricted to specific companies
- Centralized error handling
- Case insensitivity correction and alias replacement during validation
- Loading data from various sources; for example:
- Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) source files
- AR Export (ARX) files
- Extensible Markup Language (XML) files
- databases using Java Database Connectivity (JDBC)
Microsoft Excel spreadsheets
Microsoft Excel spreadsheets formatted with the .xlsx extension have the following limitations:
Worksheet size: 1,048,576 rows by 16,384 columns
Number of characters in a cell: 32,767
If your data load operations could exceed these limitations, consider customizing the data loads using Atrium Integrator transformations as described in Managing customizations.
Data load customization options include:
(Recommended) Modifying or creating new Atrium Integrator transformations or jobs that load directly from the data source to the associated load forms. This is accomplished using one of the many out of the box input adapters in Atrium Integrator,for example JDBC. With this option, you can use the spreadsheets as a source of information on the target forms.
Adding extra cells that you can concatenate if the cell length is exceeded.
If the row length could exceed the spreadsheet limitation, another option (which does not require customization) is to split the load into multiple spreadsheets. This method, however, requires you to perform multiple loads.
Data Management provides out-of-the-box job templates, spreadsheets, and staging form mappings for your use. Data Management also provides a data wizard for modifying foundation data throughout all applicable BMC Remedy ITSM Suite forms. The Data Wizard also modifies configuration item (CI) records in BMC Atrium CMDB. For more information about the data wizard, see Using the data wizard to modify data.
Do not run the Data Management tool and the data wizard at the same time. This can cause data integrity issues.
How to use the Data Management console
The following recorded webinar provides an introduction to the Data Management console and other Data Management concepts.
You can also connect with other users for related discussions on the BMC Community.
Job-based framework terminology
The following terms are used when describing the job-based framework:
Data Management job
A Data Management job (also referred to as job in this documentation) is an executable unit of work that is composed of a number of steps and their relationships and is used to run the dataload processes. A job is specific to one user and one company. Data Management jobs call Atrium Integrator jobs.
A step defines a unique process within each Data Management job, for example: a validate step, or a promote step.
A transformation defines a data flow sequence. The transformation integrates source and target data stores by:
Reading data from the source data store.
Transforming it according to the rules that you specify.
Storing it in the target data store.
Atrium Integrator job
An Atrium Integrator job is the core construct required by the job-based framework. It is composed of one or more transformations.
In addition to the information provided in the Data Management online documentation, there is a BMC Communities blog posting about managing your data load with BMC IT Service Management applications.