Creating product categories
You can create product categories for use in various BMC Remedy ITSM forms. Product categories represent all of a company's products that a help desk supports.
Each product category must be unique. You might find it helpful to view existing categories before creating new categories. For more information about viewing categories, see Viewing and modifying standard configuration data
To create product categories
- From the Standard Configuration tab in the Application Administration Console, select the appropriate company.
- Click the Create link next to Product Category.
The Product Category dialog box is displayed.
- In the Product Category dialog box, optionally select the Product Type.
- Select the configuration item (CI) type for which you are creating the product category.
Select or enter values for the Product Categorization Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 fields.
As you populate each field, values become available in the subsequent fields.
If the product category requires only one tier to sufficiently group it, enter None for the other two tiers.
- (Optional) Enter a product name.
- If you specify a product name, select a manufacturer or click New to add a manufacturer. If you click New:
- In the New Manufacturer dialog box, enter a company.
- In the Status field, select Enabled.
- Click Save.
In the Product Category dialog box, select Enabled for the status.
To temporarily prevent the category from being selected in an application, set the status to Proposed.
- Leave the Origin default as Custom.
- If this product definition is a product suite definition, select Yes.
- Select whether this product definition is just for the current company or is to be used by all companies configured.
The product category is automatically related to the selected company and, is available on other forms in the selected applications, such as the Incident form. Click Add.
- To add more product categories, repeat steps 3 to 12.
- Click Close.