The location structure within the BMC Remedy ITSM applications has a four-tiered data model, where the second and third tiers can be optional (the fourth tier, however, is required). In effect, the data model can be two, three, or four tiers. The Company field is the first tier, Region is the second tier, Site Group is the third tier, and Site is the fourth tier (where a site is a physical location with a mailing address, such as a building). When you create the location structures, the regions and site groups are used to group sites within a company. Therefore, you must have a list of the sites within a company, and then determine whether regions and site groups are required to arrange the sites in an organized manner that can be used for reporting purposes.
- Sites identify unique physical locations and are associated with one or more companies.
- The Company field and Site field are required on all request forms.
- Workflow can be defined to any level of the location structure.
This topic provides the following information:
Understanding sites and locations video
Although the concepts and procedures presented in this video are correct, the user interfaces shown are not current.
To create locations
- On the Standard Configuration tab of the Application Administration Console, select the correct company.
- Click the Create link next to Location.
Optionally, enter or select information in the Region and Site Group fields.
You can use the Region and Site Group fields to create a location structure with two or three levels.
Geographic areas can be divided into regions. A company can have several regions, depending on how many sites it has and where the sites are located. Examples of company regions are Northwest, Atlantic, and Pacific. Creating regions under a company is done only for reporting in BMC Remedy ITSM.
Enter the name of a region to create it. After you add the first site group or site to the region, you can select the region when you add another site or site group.
Geographic areas can be subdivided into site groups, which are collections of individual locations. A company can have any number of site groups, depending on how many locations it has and where they are. An example of a company site group is ABC Europe Region.
Enter the name of the site group to create it. After you add the first site to the site group, you can select the site group when you add another site.
- Enter the site designation in the Site field.
- Enter or select the site address information.
You can continue to add regions, site groups, and sites. The following figure shows a location being added.
Example of a Location being added Click Add.
- Repeat 3 through 6 to add the locations that you require.
- When you are finished configuring the company locations, click Close.