This section describes the BMC Remedy IT Service Management (BMC Remedy ITSM) architecture, including its relationship to BMC Remedy Action Request System server (BMC Remedy AR System server) and BMC Atrium Core. It also provides the following information:
- BMC Remedy ITSM Process Designer architecture
- Hub and Spoke capability overview
- Organization of modules, applications, and subsystems
- Deployable application structure model
- Assignment architecture
- Notification Engine
- Command Automation Interface
- Requester console architecture
- Changes to the BMC Atrium CMDB for BMC Remedy ITSM
A database forms the underlying element of the BMC Remedy ITSM architecture. The BMC Remedy AR System server is on top of the database. BMC Remedy AR System server processes all data entered by BMC Remedy ITSM applications. In addition, the BMC Remedy AR System server is the workflow engine between the BMC Remedy ITSM applications and the database. It also verifies that a user has permission to perform each action, thereby enforcing any access control defined in the applications.
In this capacity, the BMC Remedy AR System server is the interface between the database and the BMC Atrium Core, which includes the Product Catalog and BMC Atrium Configuration Management Database (BMC Atrium CMDB). BMC Atrium CMDB stores information about the configuration items (CIs) in your IT environment and the relationships between them. BMC Atrium CMDB makes this information available to the BMC Remedy ITSM applications and their various shared application components, such as the Task Management System.
The BMC Remedy AR System server also manages the following:
- The BMC Remedy Approval Server is a self-contained, shared module that enables you to automate any approval or signature process. For more information about BMC Remedy Approval Server, see Adding approvals to an application.
- The BMC Remedy Assignment Engine enables you to automatically assign requests to individuals. For more information about BMC Remedy Assignment Engine, see Assigning requests with the Assignment Engine.
The relationships among the database, BMC Remedy AR System server, BMC Atrium Core, shared application components, and the BMC Remedy ITSM applications are shown in the following illustration.
BMC Remedy ITSM architecture
Click on the following illustration to enlarge it.