User scenario for data loads
A DMT User can import data from external sources into Remedy ITSM applications using the jobs-based framework and then a DMT Admin can modify a job on behalf of another user.
Loading new organizational data
The following procedure describes the typical steps involved in this user scenario.
From the Spreadsheet Management window, Joe Unser downloads the required People.xlsx Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, which is needed to update people information, onto his desktop.
Joe uses Microsoft Excel to update the People.xlsx spreadsheet with the new people information.
When the People records are loaded using People Templates using Data Management or the Onboarding Wizard the values specified on the People Template record are not used. Only the permission groups, support groups and functional roles tied to the people template are applied to the People record.
- From the Spreadsheet Management window, Joe uploads the People.xlsx spreadsheet back into the Data Management system.
From the Job (New) window, Joe selects the standard out-of-the box People template and creates a job. The template includes a set of predefined steps. For more information see, Creating a job using out-of-the-box templates.
Joe or Allen could choose to create a customized job that pauses the job at a selected status. For information, see Creating customized jobs.
- Joe realizes that there are more changes that need to be made before he can run the job. As he is going on vacation tomorrow, he asks Allen to add the missing support group information and run the job while he is away.
- Using Spreadsheet Management, Allen makes the required changes to the SupportGroup.xlsx spreadsheet and uploads the changes to the system.
- From the Job Console, Allen searches for Joe's job, retrieves it, and modifies Joe's job by adding the Support Group template to the job.
- Allen configures the Load step. For more information, see Load step.
Allen runs the job. For more information, see Running a job.
The Microsoft Excel spreadsheets are imported into the staging forms and the data is validated and promoted.
The Load step maps the Excel spreadsheets to the staging forms.
During validation, the alias replacement function for data loads replaces alias values on staging forms with the actual values based on defined alias mappings. For more information, see Alias replacement during validation.
The validate step also automatically converts the letter case of values on staging forms for the supported data type fields so the case is the same as the case used for the values on the parent form. For more information, see Case insensitivity correction during validation.
From the Error Management console, Allen fixes any validation errors and re-runs the job. For information about fixing errors, see Managing data errors.
Once Allen (or Joe) has run the job and the target server has their valid data, Allen (or Joe) would not typically load their data again. Instead, he would just fix any errors for the staging forms in Error Management, rerun the job, and then promote the remaining data to the target server.