Notification transaction process
A notification transaction uses the major components of the Notification Engine, as shown in the following figure:
The NTE:SYS-NT Process Control form is the center of the Notification Engine. All notifications are pushed to this form first. Depending on which parameters are included, it determines whether the notification is a group notification or an individual notification. Calling applications pass this information to the NTE:SYS-NT Process Control form. This information includes details such as the application, the recipient of the notification, and information about the parent record.
Escalations are run to process the pending notification events.
The application uses out-of-the-box escalation pools 1, 2, and 3 to enable multithreading processing for the records contained in the NTE:SYS-NT Process Control form.
Escalation pools are enabled through the AR System Administration Console. BMC Remedy IT Service Management does not set the pooling automatically, so the AR System Administrator must configure the escalation pools before running the notification process. If you do not properly configure the escalation pools, all escalation workflow runs within escalation pool 1.
A single record created in the NTE:SYS-NT Process Control form is used for both group and individual notifications. All group and individual notifications are processed asynchronously.
- SYS:NPC:TriggerGroupNotifications runs every minute against the NTE:SYS-NT Process Control form for group notifications. This escalation runs within escalation pool 3.
- SYS:NPC:TriggerNonGroupNotifications runs every minute against the NTE:SYS-NT Process Control form for individual notifications. This escalation runs within escalation pool 2.
- SYS:NPC:ProcessHeldNotifications runs every 11 minutes to process records held for business hours. This escalation runs within escalation pool 1.
- Individual processing gets the user's notification preferences, ticket information, and message from the Notification Messages catalog. Group processing expands the group list to individuals, and then runs the individual process.
- The NTE:Notifier sends the notification using the appropriate method (email, pager, or alert). If the notification is through email, NTE:Notifier workflow creates a record in the AR System Email Messages form, which is processed by the BMC Remedy Email Engine.