Comprehensive Change and Release Management
The BMC Change Management application provides a system for planning, scheduling, implementing, and tracking changes that need to be completed within your organization. BMC Change Management is closely aligned with standard ITIL service management processes. It works in conjunction with the BMC Remedy Approval Server and the other BMC Remedy IT Service Management (BMC Remedy ITSM) applications. Using BMC Change Management in combination with these applications enables you to assess the scope of a change, analyze the costs associated with the change, perform impact and risk analysis, and schedule the resources needed to complete the change. Using the BMC Service Level Management application enables you to define service targets and measure the efforts of your support staff as they implement the changes.
This section provides the following information:
- Maturity model for Comprehensive Change and Release Management
- Change Lifecycle Automation use case
- Release Lifecycle Automation use case
- Change Management for Virtual and Cloud Environments use case
BMC Change Management helps to:
- Reduce the cost of change
- Increase understanding of risks
- Increase understanding of service relationships
- Decrease total change planning and approval time
- Reduce outages resulting from changes
- Increase changes delivered on time and within budget
A release is a collection of related authorized changes to an IT service that are tested and introduced into the production environment together. Release management works closely with configuration management and change management to ensure that changes to the IT infrastructure are implemented to keep the functionality and levels of services aligned with the business needs of customers.
The Release Management module that is included with BMC Change Management includes best practices to track and manage change and deployment activities. The goal of Release Management is to provide enhanced out-of-the-box support for managing standard release activities from request to planning and design, build, test, deployment, and acceptance. Release Management includes default support for managing standard release work items by:
- Tracking and managing change and deployment activities
- Automatically notifying stakeholders at every phase of the release process
- Contributing to meeting auditable requirements for traceability through service transition
- Delivering changes faster and at an optimum cost and minimized risk
- Assuring that customers and users can use new or changed services in a way that supports business goals
- Improving consistency in the implementation approach across the business change, service teams, suppliers, and customer
With numerous changes occurring daily, Release Management is the key component in ensuring that applications are successfully deployed without compromising the integrity or availability of the production environment. Using a systematic and repeatable release process, organizations can achieve greater success rates of change rollout, higher quality of IT service, and accelerated time-to-market.
For information about using BMC Change Management and Release Management, see Using.