- Accumulates the information needed to generate the JCL to install and configure a product
- Installs and configures any combination of products, solutions, families, and components at the same time
For more information, view the Quick Course Installation System - Installation Projects.
Note: You must already be logged into BMC Support Central or you will receive a
For a list of Quick Courses about the Installation System, see PDFs and videos.
Advantages of projects
Using projects offers these advantages:
You can exit the installation at any time and resume at your convenience. To resume, go to the Execute Project panel and select the option corresponding to where you stopped.
Multiple people can use the same project—although only one person can access the project at a time.
You can copy projects and JCL data sets to aid in subsequent installations.
Projects are stored in the Installation System repository (discussed in Preparing the Installation System repository) and remain there unless manually deleted.
For security, a project's associated FTP and firewall user IDs and passwords are not stored in the Installation System repository.
BMC recommends retaining your projects. They contain the variables, values, and defaults that you used in the original installation.
The active project is indicated in the following ways:
- In the Active Project field on the Installation System Main Menu
- By an asterisk next to the project name on the Manage Projects panel
Autosave of projects
Projects are automatically saved at the following points:
- When you make a change to the project and exit the project.
- Before generating the installation JCL.
- Before generating the configuration JCL.
- After selecting a configuration option on the Configure Products or Components panel but not making any changes to the project and exiting the project.