Enabling WhatsApp in a chatbot application
BMC Helix Innovation Suite provides a WhatsApp conversation capability for chatbot applications so that the application users can interact with a chatbot through WhatsApp messages by using their mobile devices.
As an administrator, to utilize this capability, you must use the service provided by Twilio. The configuration for BMC Helix Virtual Agent to work with Twilio is a tenant-level configuration.
- If you use Twilio to configure BMC Helix Chatbot for SMS conversation, you require two different services of Twilio. You cannot use a single Twilio service for SMS and WhatsApp configuration.
- End users can use the same number for WhatsApp and SMS conversations.
Workflow for configuring chatbot to work with WhatsApp
The following image shows the steps required to configure chatbot to work with WhatsApp:
Before you begin
To use the WhatsApp conversation capability, the users must be registered in the CTM:People form in BMC Helix ITSM and must have their mobile numbers in the following format:
+ <country code> <mobile number> such as +14098765432
For information about creating users, see .
To set up a WhatsApp business account
Set up a WhatsApp business account. For more information, see in WhatsApp documentation and in Twilio documentation.
To create a Twilio account
Sign up for .
After you sign up for Twilio, you receive an email that contains your Twilio account credentials, Account SID and Auth Token.
To create a messaging service
You must create a separate messaging service for each chatbot application.
- Log in to .
- Create a new project that includes the Programmable Messaging feature.
- In your project, navigate to Programmable Messaging > Messaging Services, and click Create Messaging Service.
- Enter the Messaging Service name.
On the Integration page, in the Incoming Messages section, select Send a webhook.
In REQUEST URL, enter the Webhook URL that you get when you configure a chatbot application to work with Twilio.
The following image is an example of the Integration section:
To associate phone numbers with the messaging service
You must associate phone numbers with each messaging service for an application so that your application users can send messages to these phone numbers.
- Log in to .
- In your project, select Programmable Messaging > Messaging Services.
- Click the messaging service that you created earlier.
- On the Sender Pool page, click Add Senders.
- From the Sender Type list, select Phone Number, and click Continue.
- From the list of phone number, select the number you want to associate and click Add Phone Numbers.
To configure a chatbot to work with Twilio for WhatsApp conversation
- Log in to BMC Helix Innovation Studio.
- On the Workspace tab, click the application in which you want to configure a chatbot to work with Twilio.
Click the Chatbots tab and click the chatbot that you want to configure to work with Twilio.
- Click the Channels tab and select New > WhatsApp (Twilio).
- In the Chatbot Service, from the Add Chatbot Provider Settings list, select WhatsApp (Twilio).
In the (WhatsApp) Twilio Settings section, enter values for the following fields, and click Save.
Field Description Description Enter the description that provides details about the setting. Twilio Message Service SID
Enter the Service SID of the messaging service created in Twilio.
You can get the Service SID from the Twilio configuration screen as shown in the following image:
Twilio Account ID Enter the Twilio Account ID that you receive when you create a Twilio account. Twilio Authentication Token Enter the Twilio Auth Token that you receive when you create a Twilio account.
(Information only) This field is populated automatically and contains the Webhook URL in the following format: https://hostname:portnumber/api/rx/application/chat/event/channel/tenantid/ChatbotID
Webhook URL is the REQUEST URL that you provide when you configure a messaging service in Twilio.
The following image is an example of the Twilio configuration: