A database refresh will allow you to overwrite an existing database with a copy from another environment. Most commonly, a refresh is needed to copy or sync the latest production database to a non-production environment. It may also be needed when you need a brand new database from a staging server copied to a non-production or production environment while onboarding. A refresh is beneficial when testing new functionality and you need a current copy of the data. To request this service, you must provide the required information detailed below, and submit a case through Support Central.
SaaS Operations will fulfill your request for a database refresh once we have the following information. You must include this information in your request.
- The source and destination locations – specify where the data is copied from, and where it's being copied to. For example, state that you need a database refresh from the production environment to the development environment.
Which components you need copied – some services have multiple databases. Be specific on which ones you actually need refreshed. For example, for Helix ITSM customers, we need to know which of these components need to be copied: ITSM, Smart IT, Smart Reporting, and Digital Workplace.
Select customers approved by BMC will keep the BMC Helix Innovation Studio - Reporting User service up to April 2024.
- Web Services – specify whether or not you need these restored after the refresh (if applicable).
- Custom integrations – if there are any details related to custom integrations that need to be restored from the destination environment after a refresh, you must specify what that is (if applicable).
Database refresh process
The following steps outline the high level database refresh process:
- The BMC SaaS Operations team takes the database backups and application backup which includes configuration forms data
- The BMC SaaS Operations team stops your applications (i.e. AR System, Smart IT, BMC Helix Digital Workplace, BMC Helix Digital Workplace Catalog, etc.)
- The BMC SaaS Operations team restores your database backups from the source database to the destination database specified.
- The destination database is overwritten by the database backups from the source; and the source and destination databases will be aligned moving forward.
The BMC SaaS Operations team restores the application backup and run a few database scripts to update the source references such as URL, hostname, and port on out-of-the-box forms.
Not included in database refresh
CCS configurations, email configurations, licensing, operation ranking, and UDM configurations will be retained per the original settings of your environment and will not be refreshed. Applications under BMC Helix IT Operations Management, including BMC Helix Operations Management, BMC Helix Continuous Optimization, BMC Helix Discovery, and common services like BMC Helix Dashboards, cannot undergo a database refresh.
- The BMC SaaS Operations team restarts your applications.
- Finally, The BMC SaaS Operations team performs sanity testing.
Helix ITSM configurations
Specific to Helix ITSM and Digital Workplace customers, there are several configurations that are set by default when a database refresh request is fulfilled. Although BMC recommends the default state, you must specify in your change request if the default configuration is not sufficient for your business requirements. For example, the email service is disabled after a refresh. If you need it enabled, you must state this in your refresh request.
Default state after a refresh
|None are synced with the new environment
Broadcast service (enabling or disabling of broadcast service for Smart Reporting)
Broadcast reports (retrieving Smart Reporting schedules from the source)
|All are deleted
|Re-applied if requested
ITSM transactional data
|Remains as is
Digital Workplace Catalog transactional data
|Remains as is
The source environment will remain as is.
A database refresh will require downtime on your destination environment for the duration of the change.
Environment refreshes can be performed only where the two environments are on the same version (application and database).
For Helix Digital Workplace customers:
- if you purchased the Advanced service, a refresh will include both the Digital Workplace database and the Catalog database.
- if you elect to not have transactional data refreshed, the next request ID will be set to 1.
For Helix ITSM customers, if you elect to not have transactional data refreshed, the next fulfillment record ID will be set to 1.
Your refresh is complete once you validate the solution on the destination environment.